The intent of the pre-co-op (paid or unpaid) is to provide exposure to “real-world” learning in industry, government, teaching hospitals and academic research labs. It is performed for 0 credits.
Students are responsible for securing their own pre-co-op.
It is recommended that students begin their search for the pre-co-op prior to the beginning of the academic semester, due to the fact that the search may take many weeks.
Students must register for BIOT6400 Pre-co-op Experience prior to beginning the pre-co-op.
- Students must be in good academic standing (a GPA of 3.0 or better).
- The pre-co-op may only be performed prior to the co-op. It cannot replace the co-op or be performed simultaneously with the co-op.
- Each student is permitted to perform one pre-co-op experience during the program.
- The pre-co-op will be no more than four months in length and will not exceed 40 hours per week.
- Students must inform the Academic Director when they receive a pre-co-op offer, and/or accept a position.
- Pre-co-op start and end dates must coincide with the university’s semester start and end dates. An exception may be made on the start date with the approval of the Academic Director.
- International students must be enrolled in BIOT6400 Pre-co-op Experience and complete appropriate paperwork for the ISSI Office prior to beginning the pre-co-op.
- The pre-co-op is a pass/fail course and will appear on the academic transcript.
- Upon completion of the pre-co-op, students will write a one-page paper on what they learned during the experience.
- For students who wish to perform a pre-co-op and a co-op at the same location, there will be a distinction between the two experiences, see co-op requirements.