Interested applicants, please make an appointment with Prof. Kostia Bergman or Prof. Jacqueline Piret, both of the Department of Biology, to discuss whether this program is right for you. For their walk-in advising hours click here.
Following this, make an appointment with Ms. Cynthia Bainton for instructions on how to apply. Applications will be through the College of Science Graduate Admissions Office. Students must submit an Apply Yourself online application; the fee is waived and no GRE is required. Letters of recommendation will also be submitted electronically.
As part of the application process, meet with your Biotech MS academic advisor in order to develop an individualized plan for the Biotech MS listing courses to be taken each semester as an undergraduate student and as a graduate student (this will include all five semesters). The plan is a required piece of the application.
- Application (online submission only)
- Statement of purpose
- Biotechnology pre-requisite form
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.00 (B) or better
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate courses (you do not need to send official Northeastern transcripts). International applicants may have to provide official evaluated transcripts.
- Three letters of recommendation. (Recommendations cannot be submitted via Interfolio or any third party.)
All pieces of the application package, such as transcripts, must be submitted online. However, official transcripts can be mailed to:
College of Science Graduate Admissions
206 Mugar Life Sciences
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Applicants to the PlusOne Biotechnology program must be enrolled at Northeastern, be a biology or biochemistry major, and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. Applicants should be enrolled in or have recently completed Biochemistry (BIOL 2323/2324). Applicants should also have completed BIOL 2301/2302 Genetics and Molecular Biology, CHEM2311/2312 and CHEM 2313/2314 Organic Chemistry I and II, and at least one co-op preferably in the biotechnology industry or in an academic laboratory involved in biotechnology research. Thus at the completion of the PlusOne program, graduates will have had a total of three co-op experiences: two undergraduate co-ops (at least one of which is in the biotechnology industry) plus one graduate co-op or three undergraduate co-ops (at least two of which were in the biotechnology industry). If a student is working, he/she will perform the graduate co-op at his/her place of employment.
Admission is for Fall and Spring semesters.
The deadline for Fall is August 1. The deadline for Spring is December 1.
Applications should be submitted during a candidate’s fifth or sixth undergraduate semester. Complete applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Please note: The College of Science reserves the right to withdraw an offer of admission at any time prior to or after enrollment if one or more of the following occur:
- There is a discrepancy between the unofficial or self-reported transcript and/or test scores submitted at the time of application and the official transcripts and/or test scores received by the College of Science.
- Applicant does not submit final transcript showing conferral of a bachelor’s, master’s, first professional or equivalent degree from an accredited institution within 30 days of matriculation.
- Transcript evaluation indicates that the degree received is not equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s, master’s, or first professional degree from an accredited institution.
- Applicant fails to meet the deadlines and/or other credential requirements of the degree program to which applicant applied.