Civic Engagement Program
The Civic Engagement Program (CEP), started in the fall 2008, provides Northeastern student scholars with the necessary tools and resources to achieve success as leaders in our community. Through a year-long comprehensive program that integrates orientation, training, direct service, and reflection, CEP contributes to the University mission to educate students for a life of fulfillment and accomplishment... and to meet global and societal needs.
CEP focuses primarily on education and youth enrichment activities in the Stony Brook neighborhoods of Fenway, Mission Hill, Roxbury, and the South End. Student Scholars have the opportunity to serve with many of Northeastern's community partner organizations.
Sample service activities include: after-school tutoring and enrichment, mentoring, youth outreach and education, college access, and youth leadership development.
CEP encompasses students who are recipients of the following scholarships:
- Balfour Scholars
- Boston Housing Authority Scholars
- Boston Public High School Scholars
- Bunche Scholars (Fall 08 only)
- Ell Scholars (Fall 08 only)
- Lewis Scholars (Fall 08 only)
- National Achievement Scholars
- National Merit Scholars
- Torch Scholars
- Trustee Scholars
Student Scholar CEP Expectations
All student scholars must:
- Complete a minimum of 100 hours of community service (at least 20 hours of training and 80 hours of direct service) with an approved community partner organization during the academic year(s) or program timeframe(s).
- Participate in all orienation, training, and recognition events.
- Attend reflection sessions and journal assignments (montly during year one).
- Submit weekly time logs of service hours.
- Complete evaluations at the end of each semester.
- Communicate regularly with the CEP staff advisor.
2009-2010 CEP Community Partners
The Center of Community Service is proud to partner with the following organizations for the 09-10 academic year!
- 826 Boston
- America SCORES New England
- Balfour Academy
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Boston
- Jumpstart Boston at Northeastern University
- Linking Education and Diversity (LEAD)
- LEAP Self Defense, Inc (Girls's LEAP)
- New Mission High School
- Science Club for Girls
- Social Change through Peace Games
- Sociedad Latina
- SquashBusters, Inc
- St. Stephen's Youth Programs
Sara De Ritter
Associate Director, Service & Community Partnerships
212 Columbus Place