Civic Engagement Program (CEP)
The Civic Engagement Program (CEP), started in the fall 2008, provides Northeastern student scholars with the necessary tools and resources to achieve success as leaders in our community. Through a year-long comprehensive program that integrates orientation, training, direct service, and reflection, CEP contributes to the University mission to educate students for a life of fulfillment and accomplishment... and to meet global and societal needs.
CEP focuses primarily in the neighborhoods of Fenway, Mission Hill, Roxbury, and the South End. Student Scholars have the opportunity to serve with many of Northeastern's premier community partner organizations.
Sample service activities include: after-school tutoring and enrichment, mentoring, youth outreach and education, college access, and youth leadership development.
CEP encompasses students who are recipients of the following scholarships:
- Balfour Scholars
- Boston Housing Authority (BHA) Scholars
- Boston Public High School (BPHS) Scholars
- Bunche Scholars (Fall 08 only)
- Ell Scholars (Fall 08 only)
- Lewis Scholars (Fall 08 only)
- National Achievement Scholars
- National Hispanic Scholars
- National Merit Scholars
- Torch Scholars
- Trustee Scholars
- University Scholars
Student Scholar CEP Expectations
All student scholars must:
- Complete a minimum of 100 hours of civic engagement activities with approved community partner organization(s) annually.
- Participate in all orientation, training, and recognition events.
- Attend reflection sessions and journal assignments (monthly during the first-year of the program).
- Submit weekly time logs of service hours.
- Complete evaluations at the end of each semester.
- Communicate regularly with the CEP staff advisor.
2013-14 CEP Community Partners
The Center of Community Service is proud to partner with the following organizations for the 13-14 academic year!
- 826 Boston
- Adventure Challenge Program
- Alternatives for Community and Environment (ACE)
- America SCORES New England
- Amphibious Acheivement
- Balfour Academy
- Boston Building Resources
- Boston Partners in Education
- Boston Scholar Athletes
- Boys & Girls Club of Boston - Yawkey Club of Roxbury
- Castle Square Tenants Organization
- Catholic Charities El Centro
- Community Servings
- Generation Citizen
- Genuine Voices
- Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts
- Girls' LEAP
- Haley House
- Healthy Kids, Healthy Futures
- Hyde Square Task Force
- John D. O'Bryant School of Mathematics and Science
- LEAD (Linking Education and Diversity)
- Let's Get Ready
- LIFT -Boston
- Peace through Play
- Peer Health Exchange
- Roxbury Multiservice Center
- Sherill House
- SNAP (South End)
- St. Stephen's Youth Program
- The Food Project
- Tutors for All
- United South End Settlements
Associate Director, Service & Community Partnerships
Center of Community Service
617-373-5838 | email@example.com