How To Answer Questions About Salary History And Requirements
- Most salary questions that arise early are screening questions to make sure your salary fits with the company’s range. Negotiation comes when you have a formal offer.
- Find out the range for a person with your skills and experience in the marketplace based upon the city you want to work in.
- Ask if there is a salary range for the position. State your comfort with that range and understand that many entry level salaries have a set range.
- Try "without knowing more about this position and the benefits package, it’s hard to know what salary I would expect, but my research suggests that the salary range for entry-level [….]s in this area is between X and Y."
- Salary history questions are sometimes unavoidable. If you cannot avoid listing salary history, say that you are sure you can work out a salary figure that is commensurate with your skills and experience.
Check out our helpful Salary Negotiation Guide!
Salary Information Resources