Why do an Internship?
- “Test the waters” to see if a potential career is right for you
- Get some experience to add to your resume before co-op
- Help build your network of connections-Employers love to hire from within!
- Students, especially those in the sciences and engineering, may also want to consider an REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates). See our REU Overview PowerPoint.
How is an internship different from a co-op?
- An internship is not the same thing as coop
- While some internships are paid, most are not
- Internships tend to be flexible with a student’s schedule
- Internships can be part‐time or full‐time (8‐40 hours per week)
- Internships generally last from 6 weeks to 4 months, and may take place during the summer or academic semester
Resources to help
Websites for Internships
Best time to look?
The more competitive the internship is, the earlier you should begin looking. Start in October for big company internships, in late January for others. Keep looking because they are posted continually.
View the Career Services calendar for internship workshops and the Spring Internship Fair.
Make an appointment with any counselor under the Career Services tab on your myNEU page