• Plan ahead! Be sure to have your proper business attire ready to wear for the career fair.
• Review the list of employers interested in meeting international students in the Career Fair Brochure on our website. Research each company and the opportunities they are recruiting for ahead of time.
• Employers post jobs and internships in NUcareers. Research these opportunities to see if your skills and experience match the qualifications they are seeking.
• Research employers’ websites to learn what the company does, where it does business, what its mission is, and something unique that interests you about the company. Be prepared to answer “why do you want to work for this company”?
• Create a target list of employers. Identify employers interested in meeting international students in your major, and be prepared to discuss how your skills and experience match the skills and experience (job description) that the employer is looking for. If the jobs are not listed in NUcareers, go to the employer website and look for the “Careers” section. If your skills and experience do NOT match well to the job description, this implies that you may not be the best candidate for that job opportunity. To be successful, focus your efforts on matching your skills and experience to the job description.
• Make a plan to speak with the employers on your target list. Be sure to print out the Career Fair Brochure before attending the fair, and map out your strategy ahead of time.
• Prepare a short (30 -60 seconds) "elevator pitch” or “personal commercial,” to share with employers when you meet them.
My name is ________ (your name), and I am a (senior, Masters student, sophomore) in ___________(field/major). I will graduate in___________. I am interested in the _____________(co-op? full time?) _______________ (position title) position at ____________ (company name). I have the _____________ skills and experience that the job posting describes. _________ (the company name) interests me because__________________.
• ADD something about yourself that is positive and memorable:
My last employer said ________________. I am ___________________.
• Again, review Career Fair FAQ’s!
• Download the Career Fair brochure, with company lists and a floor plan, from our website.