Examples of Case Interview Questions
Management Consulting, Finance, and other industries using case interviews typically include business cases or other analytical questions. Here are some types of questions.
- A client is experiencing declining profits and sells gourmet coffee in Lexington. How can they approach this?
- We have a client whose company is experiencing issues with cash flow and needs to do a reduction in force or manage its costs- what would you recommend?
- How would you approach an opportunity to buy a business? Assuming money was not an issue, what criteria would you use to evaluate whether to purchase it and how to value it?
- We have a company who needs a good turnaround person to help save it. Where would you start and how would you proceed?
- One of our clients is experiencing a decline in business because one of their competitors has decided to enter the market with a similar product. How would you approach this issue as a consultant to the client?
- How many greeting cards do you think Hallmark sells for Mother’s Day?
- What types of issues would you anticipate if you are given a start-up to grow? How would you evaluate market size?
Preparation and Research: resources to help you prepare for your case interview
Preparation is key to the case interview! Below are some helpful resources.
- Use Bloomberg, Hoovers, CEO Express, and various business journals to conduct your research and develop questions. You should also review the company’s annual reports and financial information, as well as recent Form 8-Ks and 10-Ks. Additionally, social media sites, like LinkedIn and Twitter, are great for gaining additional insight into a company and its culture.
- Use Vault and Glassdoorfor reviews of companies, interview questions, and much more!
Sources: Businessweek; Kathyrn Vercillo
Practice: resources to help you practice your answers to case questions
Additional Reading: books you can read to help you prepare and practice
- Ace Your Case II!: Consulting Interview: The WetFeet.com Insider Guide (Insider Guides Series: Company Insider), WetFeet (2011).
- Also see other Case Interview Guides in the WetFeet Series (ex. Market Sizing, Business Strategy, Business Operations Questions,
- Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation, Marc P. Cosentino (2013)
- Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting, Victor Cheng (2012)
- Crack the Case System: Complete Case Interview Prep, David Ohrvall (2011)
- How to Get into the Top Consulting Firms: A Surefire Case Interview Method, T. Darling (2009)
- Mastering the Case Interview: The Complete Guide to Consulting, Marketing, and Management Interviews, Alexander Chernev (2011)
- Vault Case Interview Practice Guide, Jim Slepicka (2003)
- Vault Guide to the Case Interview, Mark Asher (2007)
Final Tips for Case Interviews
- Always explain the rationale behind your responses to questions to show employers that you have a grasp on business strategy in problem solving.
- Seemingly “ridiculous” questions may be testing your ability to analyze and reason through a situation/problem.
- If you are asked quantitative questions during interviews, such as calculating yield-to-maturity, costs of capital etc. the interviewer is trying to evaluate your analytical skills and how you approach answering these types of questions.
- Some companies use a Super Day interview format.
- For an upper level finance position, additional questions may focus on business strategy or philosophy.
Information from “Corporate Finance Interview Questions,” by Elizabeth Johns.