Undergraduate majors choose from exciting, rigorous concentrations in Music Industry, Music Technology, and Composition that allow students to explore areas of interest that will prepare them for the broad array of careers in the music industry.
The Music Department offers three concentrations:
Music History and Analysis
This concentration focuses on music history and analysis. The diverse curriculum includes courses in Western classical music, American music, World music, music theory, as well as a capstone course emphasizing independent research.
This concentration is designed to reflect the musical diversity available to us today. Accordingly, the five required history courses include American music, World music, Western classical music through 1900, and Western music from Stravinsky to the Present. The final capstone course involves archival research and writing for publication. Such publication includes writing program notes for concerts and/or articles for on-line or print media.
The concentration stresses writing skills and critical thinking which are transferable skills that are necessary and desirable all across the music industry. Some of our students go on to graduate programs in historical musicology and ethnomusicology; others work for a diverse range of music businesses while others find success in professions unrelated to music.
One of the most exciting programs in Northeastern’s Music Department is the Music Industry concentration. Inaugurated in 1989, the program is the first of its kind in Boston, and prepares students for a broad array of career opportunities in the music industry.
The program includes music industry survey courses, business classes in the College of Business Administration, music theory, music history and music industry electives focusing on such topics as artist management, the music products industry, recording, and copyright law.
Our students have accepted co-op positions at record labels, music publishing companies, radio stations, music product companies, tour promoters, and other music industry related fields in many different parts of the world.
Music Composition and Technology is a selective program that combines rigorous coursework with a large number of exciting creative projects, rooted in the Western art music tradition. Students in the program learn to compose using the newest technologies and techniques, including sound design, real-time processing, synthesis, MIDI sequencing, digital audio mixing and mastering. Students also take courses in music theory, notation, history and analysis.
|Acoustic Consultant||Music Historian|
|Arts Administrator||Music Teacher|
|Booking Agent||Music Therapist*|
|Boom Operator||Music Video Producer|
|Disc Jockey||Session Musician|
|Instrument Repairer*||Sound Technician|
|Music Copyist||Store Manager|
|Music Critic||Talent Agent|
|Music Editor||Voice Coach|
Positions that may require additional education, training or licensing are indicated by an (*). Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interests as possible, including co-op and internships.
This is a limited sample of employers who have posted jobs on NUcareers; please note, that they may not currently have positions posted.
|3050 Music Group, Inc.||Live Music Tutor|
|Ascend Learning||Merit School of Music|
|Carl Fischer LLC||Screened Images Multimedia|
|House of Blues Boston||Superfly Productions|
This is a sample of the industries that often hire this major.
|Advertising /Marketing||Historical Societies|
|Arts Councils||Music Publishing|
|Cultural Institutions||Non Profit|
|Higher Education||Record Production|
These samples titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
Sol y Canto and Amador Bilingual Voice
Theatre Management Intern
Warner Music Group Intern
On-Air Programming Intern
Boston Pops Volunteer Intern
The following resources include various websites and campus resources that will aid you in exploring this career field and industry.
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Univ; password: RAZDE)
Career Development Videos
- Careers in Advertising, Part 1
- Careers in Advertising, Part 2
- Careers In The Arts: Putting Your Talent to Work in Community and Youth Programs
- Careers in Film and TV Production 1
- Careers in Film and TV Production 2
- Careers in Film and TV Production 3
- Careers in Film and TV Production 4
- Careers in Film and TV Production 5
- Careers in Film and TV Production 6
- Careers in Film and TV Production 7
- Careers in Non-Profit 1
- Careers in Non-Profit 2
- Careers in Non-Profit 3
- Careers in Non-Profit 4
- Careers in Non-Profit 5
- Careers in Non-Profit 6
- Teaching Without Certification
Websites for Job Search
Campus Organizations and Activities
- Acappella Groups: , Nor’easters, UniSons, NU Downbeats,
- D.O.A.A.I Unity Gospel Ensemble
- Music and Entertainment Industry Student Association (MEISA)
- Northeastern University Choral Society
- Northeastern University Symphony Orchestra
- WRBB 104.9
For additional student organizations click here.
For additional student involvement opportunities click here.
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Federation of Musicians
- American Federation of Television and Radio Artists
- American Music Therapy Association
- International Computer Music Association
- National Music Publishers Association
- Recording Industry of America Association
- The Certification Board for Music Therapists
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups and Twitter handles. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media and LinkedIn pages for more information on how to leverage your social media network.
- Northeastern University Career Development
- Northeastern University International Students and Alumni Networking Group
- sheLEADS at Northeastern
- Northeastern Music Majors Careers Group