We believe that the ability to gather, analyze and present stories and information is at the core of the
journalism and public relations professions, and we continue to emphasize reporting and writing skills in all courses. We also offer classes that keep pace with the changing way that news is delivered and received in the digital age. Students can study multimedia journalism, study visual communication, photojournalism, broadcast news writing, documentary production, and acquire public relations theory and skills.
As part of Northeastern’s College of Arts, Media and Design, journalism students also are part of a unique interdisciplinary and creative community. Our core curriculum issupplemented by electives that take advantage of course offerings from within our college and from other colleges in the university.
|Ad Advertising Manager*||Newscaster|
|Consumer Advocate||News Writer|
|Corporate Trainer*||Post Production Editor|
|Electronic Publisher||Public Relations Specialist|
|Legislative Aide||Social Media Specialist|
|Marketing Manager*||Technical Writer|
Positions that may require additional education, training or licensing are indicated by an (*). Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interests as possible, including co-op and internships.
This is a limited sample of employers who have posted jobs on NUcareers; please note, that they may not currently have positions posted.
This is a sample of the industries that often hire this major.
These samples titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
College Sports Writer
Grant Writer Intern
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Univ; password: RAZDE)
- Society of Professional Journalists
Career Development Videos
- Communications Freelance
- Corporate Communications
- Careers In Think Tanks and Other Research Organizations
- Careers in Fundraising & Development
- Career Conversation: Careers in Non-Profit 1
- Career Conversation: Careers in Non-Profit 2
- Career Conversation: Careers in Non-Profit 3
- Career Conversation: Careers in Non-Profit 4
- Career Conversation: Careers in Non-Profit 5
- Career Conversation: Careers in Non-Profit 6
- Career Conversation: Careers in Film and TV Production 1
- Career Conversation: Careers in Film and TV Production 2
- Career Conversation: Careers in Film and TV Production 3
- Career Conversation: Careers in Film and TV Production 4
- Career Conversation: Careers in Film and TV Production 5
- Career Conversation: Careers in Film and TV Production 6
- Career Conversation: Careers in Film and TV Production 7
Websites for Job Search
Campus Organizations and Activities
- For additional student organizations click here.
- For additional student involvement opportunities click here.
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Press Institute
- Associated Press Media Editors
- Committee of Concerned Journalists
- International Journalists’ Network
- Society of Professional Journalists
- The American Society of Journalists and Authors
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups and Twitter handles. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media and LinkedIn pages for more information on how to leverage your social media network.
- Northeastern University Career Development
- Northeastern University International Students and Alumni Networking Group
- sheLEADS at Northeastern
- Marketing & Communication Network
- Social Media Marketing