Chemistry is a science focused on substances that compose matter, both living and inert. Chemists study the properties and reactions of materials and how they react with one another, which often leads to new and exciting discoveries. Aside from playing a major role in healthcare and pharmaceuticals, chemistry and biochemistry have a major impact on the business world, technology and the government. A major in chemistry or biochemistry can lead to a variety of different co-op opportunities and careers in a wide assortment of functional areas including forensic science, biotechnology, scientific publishing, patent law, pharmaceuticals, marketing and green technologies among numerous others.
|Chemistry Teacher*||Patent Lawyer*|
|Flavor/Fragrance Researcher||Technical Writer|
Positions that may require additional education, training or licensing are indicated by an (*). Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interest as possible, including co-op and internships.
This is a limited sample of employers who have posted jobs on NUcareers; please note, that they may not currently have positions posted.
|Boston Children’s Hospital||Nano-C|
|Integrated Resources, Inc.||Skin Pathology Laboratory|
This is a sample of the industries that often hire this major:
|Flavors, Fragrances and Cosmetics||Pharmaceuticals Publishing|
|Government: Local, State and Federal||Scientific and Lab Reseach|
These sample titles can be used to research internship opportunities:
Chemistry/Material Science Intern
DNA Chemistries Intern
Medical Technologist Intern
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Unvi; password: RAZDE)
Career Development Videos
Websites for Job Search
- Bio Careers
- New Scientist Jobs
Campus Organizations & Activities
- Health Science Society of Bouve College
- Minority Association of Pre-Health Students
- Northeastern University American Medical Student Association
- Northeastern University Pre-Dental Association
- Northeastern University Biochemistry Club
- NU Science Magazine
- Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society
*For additional student organizations click here.
*For additional student activities click here.
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Chemical Society
- American Institute of Chemists
- American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- Counsel for Chemical Research
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media and LinkedIn pages for more information on how to leverage your social media network.