Biology provides a basic understanding for the organization and processes of life in a wide variety of areas, including ecosystems and evolution, molecular research, cells, organ systems and species development. With roots in research, development and innovation, biology plays a major role in business development and advances in healthcare, pharmaceuticals and the social sciences. Biology can lead to a variety of diverse co-op and internship opportunities in research, healthcare, business and pharmaceuticals. Additionally, it can also serve as a solid base for entering into a more concentrated medical field, including medical or dental school or masters degree in nursing or physician assistant studies.
Behavioral Neuroscience focuses on the biological basis of human behavior. The program combines the disciplines of psychology and biology to provide an understanding of how the behavior of humans and other animals is controlled by physiological systems.
|Agricultural Scientist||Nurse Practitioner*|
|Biostatistician*||Pharmaceutical Sales Rep|
|Clinical Researcher||Plant Engineer|
|Dentist/Dental Hygienist*||Product Manager|
|Engineer (for biotech)||Sales Representative|
|Marine Biologist*||Technical Writer|
Positions that require additional education, training or licensing are indicated by a (*).
Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interest as possible, including co-op and internships.
This is a limited sample of employers who have posted jobs on NUcareers; please note that they may not currently have positions posted.
|Addgene||Massachusetts Biotechnology Council|
|Boston Biomedical Consultants||Massachusetts General Hospital|
|EHS Professional||Seahorse Bioscience|
This is a sample of the industries that often hire this major:
|Animal Healthcare||Marine Research|
|Food and Beverage Processing||Pharmaceuticals|
|Government: local, state and federal||Primary and Secondary Education|
|Healthcare||Scientific and Lab Research|
These sample titles can be used to research internship opportunities:
Clinical Research Intern
Life Sciences Intern
Sustainable Materials Recovery Intern
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Univ; password: RAZDE)
Websites for Job Search
Campus Organizations & Activities
- American Medical Student Organization at Northeastern University
- Biochemistry Club
- Biology Club
- Minority Association of Pre-Health Students
- NU Pre-Dental Association
- NU Student Nurses Association
- Student Affiliates and the American Chemical Society
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Institute for Biological Sciences
- American Society for Cell Biology
- American Society of Human Genetics
- American Society for Microbiology
- Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF)
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
- Society for Industrial Microbiology (SGM)
- Society for Neuroscience
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media page for more information on how to leverage your social media network.
- Northeastern University Career Development
- Northeastern University International Students and Alumni Networking Group
- sheLEADS at Northeastern