The School of Architecture at Northeastern is focused on leadership in a changing world. The profession of architecture has undergone dramatic changes in the past twenty years, and is poised to continue to change at an even more rapid rate. Landscape architecture has transformed into a critical tool for shaping the changing nature of our cities. But even more transformational is the extent to which an architectural education can be applied to an ever-increasing range of high level endeavors.
So, the School of Architecture offers a wide range of degree options, with some tailored to professionally licensed careers in architecture and landscape, and others intended to allow for greater breadth and interdisciplinary opportunities.
But the environment for which we are preparing young people is in a state of constant flux, and therefore the most important thing that we can offer is a way to make sense of that change, and to help students lead it. Our superb faculty helps students understand the context, underlying arguments, technology, and composition of the world around them, so that they can make the best case for what ought to come next.
|Architectural Engineer*||Environmental Engineer*||Production Designer|
|Architectural Historian||Facility Manager||Project Manager*|
|Architectural Writer/ Journalist||Illustrator||Real Estate Appraiser*|
|Art Director||Industrial Designer||Set Designer|
|Building Contractor||Industrial Engineer*||Surveyor|
|Building Designer||Interior Designer*/ Decorator||Teacher/Professor*|
|Building Inspector||Landscape Architect*||Urban/ Regional Planner|
|Civil Engineer*||Mechanical Engineer*|
Positions that may require additional education, training or licensing are indicated by an (*). Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interests as possible, including co-op and internships.
This is a limited sample of employers who have posted jobs on NUcareers; please note, that they may not currently have positions posted.
|Amenta Emma Architects||Massachusetts School Building Authority|
|Einhorn, Yaffee & Prescott, A&E||Paul Linkez Architecture|
|MASS Design Group|
This is a sample of the industries that often hire this major.
|Construction||Historic Preservation and Restoration|
|Engineering||Real Estate Development|
|Federal, Local and State Government||Transportation|
These samples titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
The Intern Development Program (IDP) structures the multiyear transition from architecture student to licensed professional.
Typically internships in this field require students to be in the third year of undergraduate study or a master’s student. Students may however find internships in related fields.
Websites for Career Exploration
- Archinect Jobs
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Careers in Architecture
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
- O*NET OnLine
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Univ; password: RAZDE)
Career Development Videos
- Environmental Justice
- Building An International Career
- Careers In The Arts: Putting Your Talent to Work in Community and Youth Programs
- Careers In Think Tanks and Other Research Organizations
- Careers in Clean Energy
- Careers in Food Justice
- Career Conversation: Consulting and Project Management 6
- Career Conversation: Careers in Sustainability 1
- Career Conversation: Careers in Sustainability 2
- Career Conversation: Careers in Sustainability 3
- Career Conversation: Careers in Sustainability 4
- Career Conversation: Careers in Sustainability 5
- Careers in Public Policy: Part 1
- Careers in Public Policy: Part 2
Websites for Job Search
- Archinect Jobs
- Boston Society of Architects/AIA
- Boston Society of Landscape Architects
- Careers in Architecture
Campus Organizations & Activities
- Creative Expressions LLC
- Freedom by Design
- Habitat for Humanity
- Northeastern University Chapter for the American Institute of Architects
- The Art Collaborative
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American Society of Interior Designers
- American Society of Landscape Architects
- Boston Society of Architects (BSA)
- Society of Architectural Historians
- The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- The American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS)
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media and LinkedIn pages for more information on how to leverage your social media network.