Northeastern University’s Department of African American Studies mentors intellectual leaders, develops emerging scholars, and trains global citizens who are able to explore the world from diverse perspectives in an ever increasingly global and interdisciplinary world. As a community of international and interdisciplinary scholars, practitioners, and community leaders the department aims to create and translate knowledge to meet global and societal needs.
|Account Manager||Management Consultant|
|Admissions Counselor||Mental Health Worker|
|Affirmative Action Officer||Operations Coordinator|
|Civil Rights Analyst*||Policy Analyst*|
|Community Outreach Coordinator||Professor*|
|Diversity Coordinator||Public Affairs Manager|
|Editorial Assistant||Public Health Analyst*|
|Event Planner||Real Estate Agent*|
|Foreign Service Officer*||Recruiter|
|Grant Writer||Social Worker*|
|Grassroots Organizer||Study Abroad Advisor*|
|Human Resources Administrator||Volunteer Coordinator|
|Lawyer*||Youth Service Specialist|
Positions that require additional education, training, or licensing are indicated by an (*).
Job qualifications are based not only on degree program, but on skills and experience. Students should seek out as many experiential opportunities in their fields of interest as possible, including co-op and internships.
This is a limited sample of employers who have posted jobs on NUcareers; please note, that they may not currently have positions posted.
|The Chicago Urban League||Museum of African American History|
|Harlem Children Society||Oberlin College|
|Imani Corporation||Queer Women of Color and Friends (QWOC Boston)|
This is a sample of the industries that often hire this major.
These sample titles can be used to research internship opportunities.
Mental Health Worker
Websites for Career Exploration
- Bureau of Labor Statistics – Occupational Outlook Handbook
- MassCIS – Massachusetts Information System
- O*NET OnLine
- Vocational Biographies (username: NE Univ; password: RAZDE)
- Federal Jobs by College Major
Career Development Videos
- Careers in Non-Profit, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6
- Careers in Think Tanks and Other Research Organizations
- Corporate Communications
- Careers in Public Policy, Part 1, Part 2
Websites for Job Search
Campus Organizations & Activities
- International Affairs Society
- John. D. O’Bryant African-American Institute
- Student Government Association
Find valuable industry information, job sites, and professional networking opportunities.
- American College Personnel Association
- National Association of Social Workers
- Public Affairs Council
- Society for Applied Sociology
Sample industry specific LinkedIn groups. Stay on top of industry trends, company information, job listings, and networking opportunities. Visit the Social Media and LinkedIn pages for more information on how to leverage your social media network.