This post was authored by Ria Kalinowski
Spring is finally here! Flowers are blooming, students are graduating, and it’s time to dust off your social media accounts. Presenting your best self while job searching is extremely important. You need to make sure your social media presence is helping you do that. Here are some tips for cleaning up and improving your LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook profiles.
- Update your photo! Make sure your picture is recent and professional.
- Boost your Search Engine Optimization! Add industry specific keywords to your headline and summary. Adding relevant words increases the chance that your profile comes up when employers and recruiters search for potential employees.
- Grow your network by joining groups! You can learn about what people in your industry are talking about and contribute to the discussion. You can also send direct messages to people who are members of the groups you are a part of.
- Additional Tips: http://www.forbes.com/sites/williamarruda/2014/03/04/22-linkedin-secrets-linkedin-wont-tell-you/#3b5fb84698b0
- Improve your bio by including hashtags and keywords. You only have 160 characters!
- Pin a tweet! You can select one of your tweets to stay at the top of your twitter updates. Choose a professional tweet that relates to your industry.
- Update your list of people and companies to follow. Use your target list of companies and this article to focus the content you see on your twitter timeline.
- Weed through and delete or untag yourself from any unprofessional photos. You don’t want to lose a job opportunity because of inappropriate pictures on your profile!
- Clean out your contacts: remove any friends that you are no longer in contact with or assign them to groups such as Acquaintances to limit their access to your profile.