Professor David Herlihy’s Record Industry Class, includes the “Artist Development Project” (ADP), a real-world, hands-on, interdisciplinary collaboration which is connected with Greenline Records, the student-run record label of Northeastern University. The ADP is wholly facilitated by Northeastern University students and integrates music industry, music production, graphic design, photography, marketing, multi-media, entrepreneurial studies and legal affairs.
Through the ADP, students are assigned into several would-be record “labels”, which must:
- discover an artist
- sign the artist to Greenline Records
- identify a goal for the artist and work toward that objective over the course of the semester
- evaluate the artist’s repertoire & select a song to record
- produce, engineer and mix a master recording of an original composition
- produce a video
- develop the artist’s brand
- create distinctive merchandise
- create an Electronic Press Kit (photo, bio, poster) with consistent imaging, promotion and marketing materials
- develop “Buzz Building” strategies
- develop an on-line commercial and promotional campaign
- promote, publicize, produce and record an end-of-the-semester Artist Showcase Concert at afterHours
View the tabs for selected artists by the Fall 2011 Record Industry Class.