Co-op   |   Featured   |   Featured Students

Journalism student thrives in overseas news industry

Anthony Savvides

savvides600-590x393

Throughout his North eastern experience, fifth-​​year student Anthony Savvides has challenged him self to seek opportuni ties out side his com fort zone. After serving as a news cor re spon dent for the student-​​run Hunt ington News, for example, the jour nalism major pur sued a co-​​op with The Boston Globe’s Living Arts desk to expe ri ence the inner work ings of a major daily news paper. On two Dia logue of Civ i liza tions pro grams in Jordan and Turkey that focused on inter na­tional reporting, he immersed him self in Middle East life and culture.

For his latest endeavor and final co-​​op, he again dived into an unknown envi ron­ment, working in Italy as a reporter at TuttOggi.info—a hyper local online news­paper that covers the country’s Umbria region.

“I enjoy being out of my com fort zone because it pushes me to my limits and allows me to see how much I can do and what I’m capable of,” Sav vides said.

Sav vides, whose expe ri en tial learning oppor tu nity was sup ported by a Pres i den­tial Global Schol ar ship, said his job included col lab o rating with field reporters to write and trans late news arti cles for the website’s recently launched English-​​language news sec tion. Over the course of the co-​​op, Sav vides wrote arti cles on topics ranging from breaking news to arts and cul tural events. To pre pare for the job, he took two months of inten sive Italian lan guage classes at the Uni ver sity for For eigners, the country’s pre mier lan guage insti tute in Perugia.

Though he entered North eastern as a biology major, Sav vides quickly switched to jour nalism after real izing his long time passion for writing and interest in the news industry. It’s easy to see why he made the change. Sav vides keeps stacks of old news pa pers at his family’s home in Valley Stream, N.Y., and describes reading Bill board mag a zine and Enter tain ment Weekly as a kid to keep con­nected to the hottest songs and entertainment-​​industry trends.

Sav vides also pointed to the ter rorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 as a major turning point in his career inter ests. He devoured hordes of infor ma tion from the mag a­zine, news paper, and tele vi sion cov erage that fol lowed, at a time when many online outlets had yet to estab lish them selves as leading news sources.

Sav vides is enrolled this semester in a beat-​​reporting jour nalism course in which he will write for the Globe’s Your Town sections. He said he has great respect for inter na tional reporting, and noted that he was ini tially skep tical of hyper local reporting. But his co-​​ops at the Globe and for Tut​tOggi​.info have increased his appre ci a tion and appetite for that form of journalism.

“Hyper local reporting is incred ibly rewarding. It’s a great way to get to know an area very inti mately,” he said. “I’m sur prised the trend hasn’t caught on sooner. It’s the future of the industry.”

Sav vides said that he would like to pursue a career in arts and cul ture reporting but would remain open to a poten tially different jour nalism career track—both in the U.S. and abroad. “I really enjoy being a stu dent,” he said, “and I think jour­nalism will always allow me to con tinue being a student—a stu dent of the world.”