Co-op   |   Featured   |   Featured Students

Journalism student explores politics, international affairs in co-op experiences

Hayley Miller

hayley-dc2-e1332962386417

Hayley Miller is a senior journalism major with minors in International Affairs and Arabic.  She is currently on co-op in Washington, DC for The Huffington Post as a politics intern.

This past spring semester Hayley did an internship at the Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs in Beirut, Lebanon.  She was also an intern at Improper Bostonian magazine. In May 2010 she participated in a Dialogue of Civilizations to Israel studying social conflict.

Hayley says, “As a politics intern at The Huffington Post, I am truly part of the interactive, professional newsroom experience. I am able to work with top journalists in the field from young journalism rarities like Sam Stein to veterans like Andrea Stone. Not only do I take part in research for reporters, but I often pitch and write my own stories. I get to report from the Senate Press Gallery on Capitol Hill some days and attend press conferences and events among high-profile people like John Boehner and Hillary Clinton other days.”

Hayley’s first co-op was at Improper Bostonian in spring 2010 where she continued as a part-time editorial intern in fall 2011.  “At Improper, I helped manage and produce the magazine’s extensive calendar sections as well as help with special projects from reporters and editors. I was also able to pitch ideas and write several front-of-the-book items as well. It was a great way to get work on concise writing as well as learn about the in-and-outs of Boston. It was awesome knowing about every concert and art opening in the city!

In spring 2011, she studied abroad in Beirut, Lebanon. Along with taking classes, she interned at the Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs where she worked under director Rhami Khoury, editor-at-large of the Daily Star (Beirut’s largely syndicated paper). She says, “The value and gratitude I feel for my opportunity to study abroad cannot be overstated. My times abroad allowed me to meet people that have forever changed my life, many of whom I still keep in contact, and each who have had a hand at molding the path I want to follow in life.”

Hayley says she has appreciated the many opportunities available at Northeastern.  “I really feel that co-op combined with NU’s vast study abroad options has afforded me the opportunity to set myself apart from journalism students from other colleges and universities. While I feel journalism has always been a path I’ve wanted to follow, the style and type hasn’t always been so clear. As my interest in the Middle East and traveling grew, I knew I wanted to shift from covering events and lifestyle to perhaps politics or travel coverage. I definitely feel I have a much better idea of where I want to be and what I want to do post-graduation with the invaluable experiences I’ve gotten from studying abroad and co-oping. Plus, the networking and connections I’ve made along the way will hopefully help to land me the job of my dreams!”

Hayley will graduate in May.