Featured Students   |   News

‘The Kids’ are all right

Natalie Dickinson

neu123707_lowres-590x392

“We Are The Kids,” communication studies major Natalie Dickinson’s blog, has amassed some 25,000 followers, the majority of whom are young people looking to break into the music industry. Photo by Brooks Canaday.

Natalie Dick­inson hit a road­block in her attempt to break into the music industry during the summer before her senior year of high school. For the last three years, she had worked on a street team pro­moting bands, but her age pre­vented her from building on that expe­ri­ence through, say, a job at a con­cert venue or an intern­ship with a music label.“I was in a posi­tion where I wanted to do some­thing dif­ferent and get involved,” said Dick­inson, now a third-​​year communication studies major at North­eastern. So she started a Tumblr blog called “We Are The Kids” and began writing about her effort to break into the business.

She quickly built a loyal fol­lowing, amassing some 25,000 readers. Today she spends a few hours each day posting infor­ma­tion about intern­ships and answering ques­tions on topics ranging from finding a good col­lege music industry pro­gram to securing an intern­ship with scant expe­ri­ence in the field. When she doesn’t know the answer to a ques­tion, Dick­inson finds an industry expert who does.

For example, Dick­inson recently con­ducted an inter­view with the press coor­di­nator for the Warped Tour based on ques­tions posed by her fol­lowers. The strategy has helped her build a net­work of industry con­tacts, which could come in handy when she applies for co-​​op positions.

Dick­inson is cur­rently working with IDEA—Northeastern’s student-​​run ven­ture accelerator—to develop a busi­ness plan for the blog, which also helps readers find jobs in the music industry. “Having this team behind me is exactly what I need right now,” she said. “I’m not looking to make a living off of this, but I do think there’s a lot more I could do with it.”

Dickinson’s readers often approach her at con­certs, telling her of their deci­sion to major in music industry or the great job they found through her blog.

“I started this project trying to learn more about the industry and find intern­ships for myself,” Dick­inson said, “so there’s nothing better than having people tell me I’ve made a dif­fer­ence in their lives.”

This article was originally published by news@Northeastern.