rachel_header
Featured Students   |   News

Discovering the art of Ryder Hall

Fourth-year student Rachel Gianatasio is one of our go-to documentarians of life at CAMD. From inspiring the #CAMD Photos of the Week series to taking photos of artwork in Ryder Hall for fun (see gallery below), we can always count on Rachel to share her work and have fun while doing it. We recently asked her a few questions about what inspired her to photograph Ryder Hall’s installations and what’s in store for the year ahead.

Name

Rachel Gianatasio

Hometown

Marblehead, Massachusetts

Program

Digital Art and Interactive Media with a minor in American Sign Language

What inspired you to take photos in Ryder Hall?

When I took 3D Foundations last year I thought the art installation project was such a good idea. The projects were cool then, but this year when the installations started going up around the building I was so impressed. They were on a whole new level. They make Ryder feel like an art building. It’s wonderful when you turn a corner and there’s a piece of art. I just thought that they deserved to be documented and remembered and I thought it could be a fun and different project for me to try to photograph them. It was definitely a challenge, but a great one.

Can you share a few of your favorite photos?

Of course!

What are your plans for the upcoming year?

This summer I’m interning at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts. I’m in the Creative Services Department as a Photography Intern. It’s been great so far. It’s a side of photography I’ve never been involved in before, so it’s been a fantastic learning experience. The people are great, the museum is great, and Salem is great!

In the fall I’ll be taking classes. I’m hoping to do another co-op in the spring. I’d love to go to New York or London to work in fashion photography or a magazine. My goal is to continue to delve into different areas of photography I’ve yet to fully experience.

Anything else you’d like to add?

If you’ve never been to the Peabody Essex Museum, I’d highly recommend it! It’s in a super fun area of Salem and easy to get to via the commuter rail.

Check out more of Rachel’s photography on Facebook, Tumblr, and Smugmug.