music

Department of Music Empower Chain

Inspired by the university’s Empower Campaign, we asked the simple question, “Who empowers you?” What follows is a testament to the thoughtfulness and thankfulness of students, faculty, alumni, and staff connected to the Department of Music.

If someone from the College of Arts, Media and Design empowers you, take a moment to share it on Twitter or Instagram with the tags #CAMD and #EmpowerNU. And if you’d like to start your own CAMD Empower Chain, please email Elana Thomas at e.thomas@neu.edu.

Let’s get started!

Anjimile Chithambo

Anjimile Chithambo

Position

Third-year Music Industry major (AMD’16)

Who empowers you?

Professor Dennis Miller has inspired me to be a better musician. Miller’s “Principles of Music” course is one of the hardest classes I’ve ever taken. Sometimes I’m not really a fan of doing school work or homework, but Principles of Music is a difficult class and you have to do your homework and read the book thoroughly and actually make time to study in order to fully understand the material and grasp the core concepts of the course. Music is one of my favorite things in the whole world, and I’ve learned so much invaluable information about music by taking his class. Not only that, but Miller is just a genuinely kind person who’s always willing to help out his students and answer questions and provide super helpful feedback. Miller is one of the best professor’s I’ve ever had and he motivates me to be not only a better musician but a better listener and a better student.

Next up…

Dennis Miller

Dennis Miller

Position

Professor of Music

Who empowers you?

I am empowered by my students, who keep me up to date and focused on issues of importance. I am challenged by their curiosity and eagerness to learn. I am inspired by their creativity and the new ideas they bring to our discussions. It is what gets me up in the morning ready to face an exciting new day.

Next up…

Joey Lafyatis

Joey Lafyatis

Position

Third-year Music Industry major and President of Green Line Records (AMD’16)

Who empowers you?

Professor Doug Durant inspires me. I took two Music Theory courses and a Composition Seminar with him before switching my major from Music Technology to Music Industry, and he has an extraordinary ability to break the walls of a classroom to capture anything from an applicable, theoretical understanding of a piece to the emotional, personal, raw feeling that it can invoke. Though I’ve since followed the beat of a different drum, the time I spent discussing the music of Bach, Chopin, and other greats in Doug’s classes has played a significant role in who I am today as someone fascinated with music and its social implication. I am very grateful.

More to come…