Empower

Communication Studies Empower Chain

Inspired by the university’s Empower Campaign, we asked the simple question, “Who empowers you?” What follows is a testament to the thoughtfulness and thankfulness of students, faculty, alumni, and staff connected to the Department of Communication Studies.

If someone from the College of Arts, Media and Design empowers you, take a moment to share it on Twitter or Instagram with the tags #CAMD and #EmpowerNU. And if you’d like to start your own CAMD Empower Chain, please email Elana Thomas at e.thomas@neu.edu.

Let’s get started!

Tatum Hartwig

tatum

Position

Third-year Communication Studies major (AMD’16)

Who empowers you?

Through my time at Northeastern and in CAMD, my professors have helped me steer the course towards the tech and entrepreneurial world. Many of them have worked in these fields and they have been a constant source of input, knowledge, and advice. But I think the best thing I have ever learned from CAMD and from my very first college professor, Greg Goodale, is confidence. Professor Goodale taught me not only the basics of public speaking, but how to own a room, make a difference, and be confident no matter the audience. That was by far the most valuable lesson I have ever learned.

Next up…

Dr. Greg Goodale

Greg Goodale

Position

Associate Professor of Communication Studies

Who empowers you?

Chelsie Ouellette (AMD’11) inspired me to be a better professor. She was such a fantastic student – she was brilliant, hard-working, collegial, charismatic, generous, courageous, enthusiastic, open-minded, mature … – that she forced me to set my expectations higher not only for myself but for all of my students. Northeastern, after all, has been attracting amazing students. Before she graduated, Chelsie interned for President Obama and took a semester off to schedule for Governor Patrick’s reelection campaign. After she graduated, she went back to work for Governor Patrick as his speechwriter and then for President Obama during his 2012 reelection campaign. She’s always been willing to lend CAMD a hand, provide guidance to current students, and inspire me to help former students reach similar accomplishments.

Next up…

Chelsie Ouellette

Chelsie

Position

Field Director at Ed Markey for US Senate (AMD’11)

Who empowers you?

Dr. Elise Dallimore has empowered me to create and build successful people-based organizations from the ground-up. In the world of political campaigns, you barely have time to breathe let alone think critically, but I constantly return to Professor Dallimore’s lessons on the value of training, the importance of accountability rooted in clear goals, motivation methods that work, and the constant cycle of evaluation. Bringing her fascinating research and experience in organizational communication to the classroom, Professor Dallimore empowers her students to solve real world problems for themselves, while holding them to the highest standards possible. Now even three years post graduation, Professor Dallimore motivates me to be the best organizational leader I can be.

Next up…

Dr. Elise Dallimore

Elise

Position

Who empowers you?

In a world where many of my students view success as equivalent to a salary-and-benefits package or the prestige of the company for whom they work, Caitlin Ferguson is motivated by a selfless desire to make the world a more equitable and hospitable place for all human beings to inhabit, especially the marginalized. I am fortunate to be surrounded by smart faculty colleagues and students; however, often I feel too many of us fail to recognize our own privilege or a responsibility to use our resources — including our intellect and time — to improve the world, and in doing so, to improve ourselves. I was fortunate to work side-by-side with Caitlin as we assessed, analyzed, and implemented changes designed to enhance the experience of first-year students at Northeastern in my former role as the Associate Vice Provost for First-Year Programming. Caitlin Ferguson inspires me to reach higher, run faster and work harder than I often feel capable. Currently as the AIF William J. Clinton Fellow for Service in India, her self-sacrificing commitment to be “part of the solution” empowers me to push my students, myself and my family to give more in order to become more.

Next up…

Caitlin Ferguson

Academic Honors Convocation

Position

AIF William J. Clinton Fellow for Service in India (AMD’13)

Who empowers you?

From the classroom to the workplace to the halls of Northeastern, Bill Jackson empowers students at CAMD to pursue all that experiential learning has to offer. By getting to know his students personally, Mr. Jackson is able to maximize the student experience on co-op. From my first meeting with him freshman year — where I only had a vague idea of what I wanted to do — to my last meeting with him senior year, he has earnestly dug into my interests and empowered me to carve my own path within co-op and beyond. He continually empowers students with a large variety of interests to develop their professional skills, connect their experiences to the classroom, and grow throughout the process. Mr. Jackson’s commitment to his students inspires me, and I’m grateful to have had him as a mentor throughout my time at Northeastern.

Next up…

Bill Jackson

Bill Jackson

Position

Co-op Faculty Coordinator

Who empowers you?

Libby Fiumara (AMD’14) is a student who continues to reach beyond the boundaries of Huntington Ave and by doing so empowers me each time we meet. From her first semester spent in London, England as a participant in the N.U.in program, through her studies with the Dialogues of Civilizations programs in Brazil and Greece and her co-op placement with the U.S. Embassy in London, she truly brings a global perspective to the classroom and the workplace. I am thankful and feel privileged to have collaborated with Libby here at Northeastern and to witness first hand her growth personally as well as professionally. I am looking forward to following her along the next chapter of her life as she begins her graduate studies with The London School of Economics.

Next up…

Libby Fiumara

Libby

Position

Senior Communication Studies major (AMD’14)

Who empowers you?

Dr. Heidi Kevoe-Feldman has empowered me throughout my time at Northeastern. With her constant enthusiasm, humor and honesty, she has taught me to never give anything less than my absolute best. She has challenged me to be a better academic, while at the same time reminding me not to sweat the small stuff in life. I am constantly inspired by her dedication to both her students and her research.