Art

Art + Design Empower Chain

Inspired by the university’s Empower Campaign, we asked the simple question, “Who empowers you?” What follows is a testament to the thoughtfulness and thankfulness of students, faculty, alumni, and staff connected to the Department of Art + Design.

If someone from the College of Arts, Media and Design empowers you, take a moment to share it on Twitter or Instagram with the tags #CAMD and #EmpowerNU. And if you’d like to start your own CAMD Empower Chain, please email Elana Thomas at e.thomas@neu.edu.

Let’s get started!

Anthony Gentles

Anthony Gentles

Position

Digital Arts (Animation) major and Graphic Design minor (AMD’14)

Who empowers you?

When I first applied to Northeastern, I was very interested in the Graphic Design program. It wasn’t until my Welcome Day visit when I sat in on the Animation info session that I decided to change my major to Digital Art. Something about the aesthetic of Animation really drew me into this section of the Art + Design department. Closing in on my 5th and final year at Northeastern, I’ve met a ton of awesome professors and students within the Animation circle. I’d say without a doubt that my classmate and friend Alex Falcon is a figure who really inspires me to be the best animator and overall student that I can be. Witnessing his work ethic and dedication to the study of Animation over these past few years has motivated me to maintain a similar state of mind as his. It’s great when you see someone who truly enjoys their craft as much as Alex does, and I continuously aspire to be that way as well.

Another inspiration to me is Judy Ulman from the Art + Design office. She has had a great impact on my personal life and academic career while at the university, and has always been someone who I’ve felt comfortable going to for advice or guidance if I ever needed it. Even just stopping by her office to say “Hi” is sure to put a smile on my face. Judy has continuously played such a supportive role in my life since my freshman year at Northeastern, and I am very thankful for all she has done.

Next up…

Judy Ulman

Judy Ulman

Position

Administrative Assistant for Department of Art + Design; Artist

Who empowers you?

Nathan Felde is an inspiring leader and a pleasure to work with. He has a wonderful way of pulling people and ideas into his orbit and using his influence to foster new connections and encourage new ideas. He also brings great enthusiasm and energy to the college and to the ever-changing field of design. We’re lucky to have him.

Next up…

Nathan Felde

Nathan Felde (R) with Xavier Costa, Dean of the College of Arts, Media and Design

Nathan Felde (R) with Xavier Costa, Founding Dean of the College of Arts, Media and Design

Position

Chair and Professor, Department of Art + Design

Who empowers you?

I am inspired by Gloria Sutton, Assistant Professor of Art History and Visual Studies, whose continuous attention to detail and the big picture and her positive engagement with all matters of the department, college, and university extends to her growing impact and influence in her discipline and field of scholarship in emerging media. Gloria brings her intellect, optimism, and critical judgment together with a personal style that is engaging and effective. It is a privilege and pleasure to work with her.

More to come…