Tatum Hartwig

Tatum Hartwig preps for her EmpowerTrip to NYC

A Husky Ambassador, a coxwain for Northeastern Men’s Rowing, and the Public Relations Chair for Sigma Sigma Sigma Sorority and the Panhellenic Council, Communication Studies major and EmpowerTrip winner Tatum Hartwig has a lot of practice representing Northeastern University. We asked Tatum about her time at Northeastern, her goals for the future, and what she has planned for her EmpowerTrip to New York City in April.

Name

Tatum Hartwig

Year

Middler — 3rd year

Program

Communication Studies with a minor in Business Administration

Hometown

Tempe, Arizona

Why did you choose CAMD and Northeastern?

Being from the desert of Arizona, I wanted to go somewhere new and far away and Boston fit those requirements perfectly. Northeastern looked beautiful in photos and sounded good on paper, but it wasn’t until I walked onto the campus that I knew it was “the one.” If you could fall in love with a place, then it was love at first sight. That was before I had even heard the word “co-op”! After my tour guide told me about co-op and other opportunities, I was sold.

What were some of the experiences you focused on when entering the EmpowerTrip contest?

To stay true to the idea of who and what empowered me, I focused on my team, my sorority, my co-op, and living in Boston. I mean, how many people can say they jumped in the reflection pool after the Red Sox won the World Series, raced in the Head of the Charles, and worked for a successful e-commerce company all in the same month? Where else could you do that but Northeastern?

What are you looking forward to in New York? What do you have planned?

Well, I’ve never been to New York City, so I think it’s safe to say I’m looking forward to everything! So far, we’re planning on seeing the New York Public Library and Central Park, but I’d love to stop by the Met, the Empire State Building, and the Freedom Tower.

What’s the most fun/interesting/unique thing you’ve done as a student at Northeastern?

I have done a lot in three years, but I think racing with Northeastern Women’s Rowing my freshmen and sophomore year everywhere from Boston to San Francisco and now having the opportunity to be on the Northeastern Men’s Rowing team. I’ve been very lucky to have been a part of not one but two successful varsity teams at Northeastern.

What are your plans for the future and how has your time at CAMD helped prepared you?

The future is always shifting and changing, but I’m currently planning on working in public relations and marketing specifically in the realm of e-commerce or startups. Through my time at Northeastern and in CAMD, my professors have helped me steer the course towards the tech and entrepreneurial world. Many of them have worked in these fields and they have been a constant source of input, knowledge, and advice. But I think the best thing I have ever learned from CAMD and from my very first college professor, Greg Goodale, is confidence. Professor Goodale taught me not only the basics of public speaking, but how to own a room, make a difference, and be confident no matter the audience. That was by far the most valuable lesson I have ever learned.

Anything else you’d like to add?

Northeastern is an amazing institution and if you invest yourself into it fully, you will see doors open and stars come within reach.

Connect with Tatum on Twitter and Instagram, and follow the Empower campaign on the Empower blog.