Featured Students   |   News

Journalism student thrives in overseas news industry

Anthony Savvides

savvides600-590x393

Throughout his North­eastern expe­ri­ence, fifth-​​year stu­dent Anthony Sav­vides has chal­lenged him­self to seek oppor­tu­ni­ties out­side his com­fort zone. After serving as a news cor­re­spon­dent for the student-​​run Hunt­ington News, for example, the jour­nalism major pur­sued a co-​​op with The Boston Globe’s Living Arts desk to expe­ri­ence the inner work­ings of a major daily news­paper. On two Dia­logue of Civ­i­liza­tions pro­grams in Jordan and Turkey that focused on inter­na­tional reporting, he immersed him­self in Middle East life and culture.

For his latest endeavor and final co-​​op, he again dived into an unknown envi­ron­ment, working in Italy as a reporter at TuttOggi.info—a hyper­local online news­paper that covers the country’s Umbria region.

“I enjoy being out of my com­fort zone because it pushes me to my limits and allows me to see how much I can do and what I’m capable of,” Sav­vides said.

Sav­vides, whose expe­ri­en­tial learning oppor­tu­nity was sup­ported by a Pres­i­den­tial Global Schol­ar­ship, said his job included col­lab­o­rating with field reporters to write and trans­late news arti­cles for the website’s recently launched English-​​language news sec­tion. Over the course of the co-​​op, Sav­vides wrote arti­cles on topics ranging from breaking news to arts and cul­tural events. To pre­pare for the job, he took two months of inten­sive Italian lan­guage classes at the Uni­ver­sity for For­eigners, the country’s pre­mier lan­guage insti­tute in Perugia.

Though he entered North­eastern as a biology major, Sav­vides quickly switched to jour­nalism after real­izing his long­time passion for writing and interest in the news industry. It’s easy to see why he made the change. Sav­vides keeps stacks of old news­pa­pers at his family’s home in Valley Stream, N.Y., and describes reading Bill­board mag­a­zine and Enter­tain­ment Weekly as a kid to keep con­nected to the hottest songs and entertainment-​​industry trends.

Sav­vides also pointed to the ter­rorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 as a major turning point in his career inter­ests. He devoured hordes of infor­ma­tion from the mag­a­zine, news­paper, and tele­vi­sion cov­erage that fol­lowed, at a time when many online outlets had yet to estab­lish them­selves as leading news sources.

Sav­vides is enrolled this semester in a beat-​​reporting jour­nalism course in which he will write for the Globe’s Your Town sections. He said he has great respect for inter­na­tional reporting, and noted that he was ini­tially skep­tical of hyper­local reporting. But his co-​​ops at the Globe and for Tut​tOggi​.info have increased his appre­ci­a­tion and appetite for that form of journalism.

“Hyper­local reporting is incred­ibly rewarding. It’s a great way to get to know an area very inti­mately,” he said. “I’m sur­prised the trend hasn’t caught on sooner. It’s the future of the industry.”

Sav­vides said that he would like to pursue a career in arts and cul­ture reporting but would remain open to a poten­tially different jour­nalism career track—both in the U.S. and abroad. “I really enjoy being a stu­dent,” he said, “and I think jour­nalism will always allow me to con­tinue being a student—a stu­dent of the world.”