Featured   |   Featured Students   |   Global Experiences   |   Undergraduate

Anthony Gentles sends a postcard from Ireland

Anthony Gentles

AnthonyGentles

Each summer, CAMD faculty lead students on Dialogues of Civilizations, global student exchanges between students at Northeastern University and students around the world. This year, students have the opportunity to study photography in CubaItaly, and Germany; journalism and Spanish in Spain; architecture in China; and studio art in Ireland, among other placements. Senior Anthony Gentles shares details from his experience in Ireland last summer.

Name
Anthony Gentles

Hometown
Lowell, Massachusetts

Year
Senior

Program
Digital Arts (Animation) major; Graphic Design minor

How did you choose the “Studio Art, History, and Culture in Ireland” Dialogue?
I took a figure drawing class two years ago with Professor Mira Cantor (my first drawing course since my first year at Northeastern), and she mentioned something about a trip to Ireland. At first I didn’t pay much attention to it but I decided to attend a few info sessions, and, as previous students shared their experiences, the trip started to sound more and more interesting. Eventually I thought, “Why not?” and applied to the Dialogue. Might have been the best decision I’ve ever made.

What projects did you work on while you were there?
The first few assignments we worked on involved interacting with the environment and creating “found object” artworks. We were then allowed to create a final project using any medium of our choosing. I decided to create a short 2D animation that highlighted the events of the trip, leading up to our departure from the Burren and our arrival at Dublin. You can see a few images from the trip below and watch the videos I made (one animated, one live action) on my website.

What were a few highlights from your trip?
The town we were staying in, Ballyvaughan, was EXTREMELY small. I’m talking maybe 300-400 people in the entire town. I come from a background where the two high schools I attended had 4000+ students each. Being in such a small community was pretty cool, because everyone in the town was friendly and knew all about you after the first few days. Also, the entire place (Ireland) was soooo green. Plants and grass and trees and everything. I never realized how beautiful and awesome nature could be.

How did your experience in Ireland affect your course of study?
Because of my time in Ireland, I am much more open to the idea of traveling for work or for future study. I know there are a ton of job opportunities overseas for animation, so I can definitely see the possibility of working abroad if need be.

What projects are you working on now?
Two other classmates (Kyle Maguire and Alex Falcon) and I are currently working on a short animated film for our Digital Degree Project course. This animation is a continuation from last semester, and we plan to submit the project to a few student film festivals by the end of the school year! Outside of classwork, a group of friends and I also compete in the Campus MovieFest film contest every year. I expect that we’ll submit a film this year as well!

Anything else you’d like to share?
If ever given the opportunity to travel abroad while at Northeastern, DO IT. You will not regret the decision.

To check out Anthony’s work, visit his website.