CAMD’s Creative Leaders Program began in fall 2012. Students in this program are in the forefront of CAMD’s innovative activities and reflect the creative spirit in the college. Creative Leaders are cultural ambassadors–to their peers, prospective students, and other constituencies in the larger Northeastern community.
Participating in the CAMD Creative Leaders Program entitles students to a range of unique and distinct opportunities. During their time at CAMD, Creative Leaders have access to special academic and creative experiences, including:
- Mentoring from industry leaders, visiting artists and distinguished alumni
- Behind-the-scenes and hands-on opportunities with exciting college events and programming
- Special meetings with the Dean of the College of Arts, Media and Design
- Development of a special entrepreneurial project
- Assistance with locating and procuring equipment to fuel creative ideas
- Assistance with securing funding and other resources to support creative projects
- Eligibility to earn the distinction of Creative Leader Honors upon graduation
As one would expect of a distinctive program like Creative Leaders, participation in the program also entails some important responsibilities. These enable the program to foster the development of leaders in the arts, media and design fields and provide students with an opportunity to display their creative talents.
Students in the Creative Leaders Program are expected to attend weekly meetings throughout the academic year. These are slated from 5:30 to 7:00 pm every Monday of the fall and spring semesters. Full meetings are held every other week, with the intervening weeks to be run by the Creative Leaders for committee work or student projects.
Creative leaders are also expected to attend at least two of the arranged mentoring events throughout each year, which typically coincide with events hosted through CAMD’s Center for the Arts.
Finally, students in this program are required to coordinate the production of the College’s Student Showcase of creative work. This involves planning the event, generating publicity and marketing materials and news articles, selecting the students to be featured, stage managing, filming, and at least once during their time at Northeastern, presenting their creative work in the showcase!
Students interested in applying for the Creative Leaders program should follow our portfolio/art supplement recommendations and read below for instructions.
Applicants to a College of Arts, Media and Design major are welcome to submit a portfolio of their work during the admission process for Creative Leaders consideration.
The portfolio submission deadline is November 7 for student applying Early Action and Early Decision, and January 16 for students applying Regular Decision.
Applicants to a College of Arts, Media and Design major may apply for the Creative Leaders program as early as their first semester at Northeastern and will follow the process below for current students.
Current College of Arts, Media and Design majors interested in joining the Creative Leaders program are welcome to submit a portfolio application. Portfolio applications are due by the fourth Friday of October, second Friday of February or the fourth Friday of June each year and must be submitted to Adam Smith.
All portfolios must include:
- A personal statement that provides a narrative of your experiences and capabilities relating to your area of creativity and addressing how you exemplify the entrepreneurial spirit of a Creative Leader (500 to 700 words)
- A list of all portfolio items, including title and description