| Helen H. Suh|
Associate Professor and Interim Department Chair
Department: Department of Health Sciences
Professor Suh is an Associate Professor in the Department of Health Sciences at Northeastern. She is also adjunct faculty at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and a Senior Fellow at NORC at the University of Chicago, reflective of the work that she continues to perform in her previous positions. Dr. Suh is an internationally recognized expert in air pollution health effects, having led multidisciplinary teams in environmental exposure assessment and epidemiology for over 20 years. Dr. Suh’s research focuses on three general areas within air pollution health effects, including (1) assessment of the impact of lifestyle and neighborhoods on air pollutant exposures and human health, (2) examination of multi-pollutant impacts on human health, and (3) development of GIS-based spatio-temporal modeling tools for epidemiological research. Her work has been published in over 100 papers in leading environmental health journals. Dr. Suh performs advisory work in environmental health for numerous local, national, and international organizations. Currently, Dr. Suh is a member of the charter US Environmental Protection Agency Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee and the Institute of Medicine Committee to Review the Health Effects in Vietnam Veterans of Herbicide Exposure. She is also Associate Editor of the International Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology.
Sc.D., Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health
MS, Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health
SB, Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Specializations: environmental epidemiology, exposure assessment, air pollution
Research Interests: exposure assessment, environmental epidemiology, exposome
Selected Research/Scholarship Projects:
Key Experiential Learning Opportunities for Students:
Public Service (2007+):
• Member, Committee to Review the Health Effects in Vietnam Veterans of Exposure to Herbicides, Institute of Medicine, National Academies of Science, April 2012 – present.
• Invited participant, Division of Lung Diseases of the National Heart Lung of Blood Institute (NHLBI), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Office of Environment and Energy, Federal Aviation Administration sponsored workshop to outline biomedical population-based research questions of how aviation noise may impact health. August 2011.
• Associate Editor, Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, April 2011 – present.
• Member, Committee to Review the Draft IRIS Assessment on Formaldehyde, National Academy of Sciences, March 2010-February 2011.
• Reviewer, EPA Near-Road Health and Exposure Study Plan, US Environmental Protection Agency, June 2010.
• Reviewer, Stochastic Human Exposure and Dose Simulation for Particulate Matter (SHEDS-PM) Version 3.5. US Environmental Protection Agency, November 2010.
• Member, Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee, US Environmental Protection Agency, October 15, 2009 – September 30, 2012
• Member, Risk Assessment Advisory Structure of Scientific Committees and Experts, European Commission; Health and Consumers Directorate-General, 2009-2010
• Member, Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee (CASAC) Panel for Ozone, US Environmental Projection Agency, 2009-present
• Member, EPA Science Advisory Board (SAB) Committee on EPA's Report on the Environment, 2009
• Member, Executive Steering Committee, 2010 Air Pollution and Health Conference “Air Pollution and Health: Bridging the Gap from Sources to Health Outcomes”, San Diego, CA, March 2010
• Consultant, Risk Assessment Tool Kit, World Health Organization, International Programme on Chemical Safety, Summer 2009
• Member, Review Committee, Report on The Effects of Reductions in Tropospheric Ozone on the Ozone Column, UV Filtration and Skin Cancer, US EPA, 2008.
• Member, Clean Air Scientific Advisory Committee (CASAC) Panel for Particulate Matter Review, US Environmental Projection Agency, Sept 2007-present
• Member, Committee on Estimating Mortality Risk Reduction Benefits From Decreasing Tropospheric Ozone Exposure, National Academy of Sciences, 2007
• Consultant, Workshop on Revision of the Criteria Document on Nitrogen Dioxide, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Jan 2007
• Member, Publications Committee, International Society of Exposure Science
1. Brauer M, Ryan PB, Suh HH, Koutrakis P, Spengler JD. Measurements of Nitrous Acid Inside Two Research Houses. Environmental Science Technology, 1990, 24:1521-7.
2. Suh HH, Spengler JD, Koutrakis P. Personal Exposures to Acid Aerosols and Ammonia. Environmental Science Technology, 1992; 26:2507-17.
3. Suh HH, Koutrakis P, Spengler JD. Validation of Personal Exposure Models for Sulfates and Aerosol Strong Acidity. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 1993; 43:845-50.
4. Liu LS, Koutrakis P, Suh HH, Mulik JD, Burton RM. Use of Personal Measurements for Ozone Exposure Assessment: A Pilot Study. Environmental Health Perspectives, 1993; 101:318-24.
5. Suh HH, Koutrakis P, Spengler JD. The Relationship between Aerosol Acidity and Ammonia in Indoor Environments. Journal of Exposure Analysis Environmental Epidemiology, 1994; 4:1-22.
6. Suh HH, Allen GA, Aurian-Blajeni B, Koutrakis P. Field Method Intercomparison for the Characterization of Acid Aerosols and Gases. Atmospheric Environment, 1994; 28:2981-9.
7. Suh HH, Koutrakis P, Allen GA, Burton RM. Spatial Variation in Outdoor Acidic Sulfate and Ammonia Concentrations within Metropolitan Philadelphia. Journal Air & Waste Management Association, 1995; 45:442-52.
8. Burton RM, Suh HH, Koutrakis P. Characterization of Outdoor Particle Concentrations within Metropolitan Philadelphia. Environmental Science Technology, 1996; 30:400-7.
9. Wilson WE, Suh HH. Fine and Coarse Particles: Concentration Relationships Relevant to Epidemiologic Studies. Journal Air & Waste Management Association, 1997; 47:1238-49.
10. Suh HH, Nishioka Y, Koutrakis P, Burton RM. The Metropolitan Acid Aerosol Characterization Study: Results from Washington, DC. Environmental Health Perspectives, 1997; 105:826-34.
11. Bahadori T, Suh HH, Koutrakis P. Issues in Human Particulate Exposure Assessment: Relationship between Outdoor, Indoor, and Personal Exposures. Journal of Human Ecological Risk Assessment, 1999; 5:459-70.
12. Chang L-T, Sarnat J, Wolfson JM, Rojas-Bracho L, Suh HH, Koutrakis P. Development of a Personal Multi-Pollutant Exposure Sampler for Particulate Matter and Criteria Gases. Pollution Atmosphérique-Numéro Spécial 40e Anniversaire de l’appa., December, 1999; 10:31-9.
13. Abt E, Suh HH, Allen GA, Koutrakis P. Characterization of Indoor Particle Sources: A Study Conducted in the Metropolitan Boston Area. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2000; 108:35-44.
14. Abt E, Suh H, Catalano P, Koutrakis P. Relative Contribution of Outdoor and Indoor Particle Sources to Indoor Concentrations. Environmental. Science Technology, 2000; 34:3579-87.
15. Rojas-Bracho L, Suh H, Koutrakis P. Relationship among Personal, Indoor, and Outdoor Fine and Coarse Particulate Concentrations for Individuals with COPD. Journal of Exposure Analysis & Environmental Epidemiology, 2000; 10:294-306.
16. Sarnat J, Koutrakis P, Suh HH. Assessing The Relationship between Personal Particulate and Gaseous Exposures of Senior Citizens Living in Baltimore, MD. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2000; 50:1184-98.
17. Chang LT, Koutrakis P, Catalano P, Suh HH. Hourly Personal Exposures to Fine Particles and Gaseous Pollutants-Results from Baltimore, MD. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2000; 50:1223-35.
18. Long CM, Suh HH, Koutrakis P. Characterization of Indoor Particle Sources Using Continuous Mass and Size Monitors. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2000; 50:1236-50.
19. Suh HH, Bahadori T, Vallarino J, Spengler JD. Criteria Air Pollutants and Toxic Air Pollutants. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2000; 108:625-33.
20. Long CM, Suh HH, Kobzik L, Catalano PJ, Ning YY, Koutrakis P. A Pilot Investigation of the Relative Toxicity of Indoor and Outdoor Fine Particles: In Vitro Effects of Endotoxin and Other Particulate Properties. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2001; 109:1019-26.
21. Long, CM, Suh, HH, Catalano PJ, Koutrakis P. Using Time- and Size-Resolved Particulate Data to Quantify Indoor Penetration and Deposition Behavior. Environmental Science Technology, 2001; 35:2089-99.
22. Sarnat JA, Schwartz J, Catalano PJ, Suh HH. Gaseous Pollutants in Particulate Matter Epidemiology: Confounders or Surrogates? Environ Health Perspect, 2001; 109:1053-61.
23. Chang L-T, Suh HH, Wolfson JM, Misra K, Allen GA, Catalano PJ, Koutrakis P. Laboratory and Field Evaluation of Measurement Methods for One-Hour Exposures to O3, PM2.5 and CO. Journal Air & Waste Management Association, 2001; 51:1414-22.
24. Janssen NAH, Schwartz J, Zanobetti A, Suh HH. Air Conditioning and Source-Specific Particles as Modifiers of the Effect of PM10 on Hospital Admissions for Heart and Lung Disease. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2002; 110:43-9.
25. Rojas-Bracho, L, Suh HH, Oyola P, Koutrakis P. Measurements of Children’s Exposures to Particles and Nitrogen Dioxide in Santiago, Chile. The Science of the Total Environment, 2002; 287:249-64.
26. Saldiva HN, Clarke RW, Coull BA, Stearns R, Lawrence J, Krishna MG, Diaz E, Koutrakis P, Suh H, Tsuda A, Godleski JG. Lung Inflammation Induced by Concentrated Ambient Air Particles is Related to Particle Composition. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, 2002; 165:1610-17.
27. Sarnat JA, Koutrakis P, Long CM, Coull B, Schwart J, Suh HH. Using Sulfur as a Tracer for Outdoor Fine Particulate Matter. Environmental Science Technology, 2002; 36:5305-14.
28. Chang LT, Koutrakis P, Catalano, PJ, Suh HH. Assessing the Importance of Different Exposure Metrics and Time-Activity Data to Predict 24-H Personal PM2.5 Exposures. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 2003; 66:1825-46.
29. White W, Suh HH. Monitoring Exposure to Ambient Air Pollutants. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 2003; 66: 1879-82.
30. Lippmann M, Frampton M, Schwartz J, Dockery D, Schlesinger R, Koutrakis P, Froines J, Nel A, Finkelstein J, Godleski J, Kaufman J, Koenig J, Larson T, Luchtel D, Liu LS, Oberdorster G, Peters A, Sarnat J, Sioutas C, Suh H, Sullivan J, Utell M, Wichmann E, Zelikoff J. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Particulate Matter Health Effects Research Centers Program: A Midcourse Report of Status, Progress, and Plans. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2003; 11:1074-92.
31. Chang LT, Suh HH. Characterization of the Composition of Outdoor, Indoor, and Personal Particulate Exposures. California Air Resources Board, Sacramento, CA, Research Report 98-330. 2003.
32. Rojas-Bracho L, Suh HH, Catalano P, Koutrakis P. Personal Exposures to Particles and their Relationships with Personal Activities for Chronic Obstructive Disease Patients Living in Boston. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2004; 54:207-17.
33. Adamkiewicz G., Ebelt S, Syring M, Slater J, Speizer FE, Schwartz J, Suh H, Gold DR. Association between Air Pollution Exposure and Exhaled Nitric Oxide in an Elderly Panel. Thorax,2004; 59:204-9.
34. Zanobetti A, Canner MJ, Stone PH, Schwartz J, Sher D, Eagan-Bengston E, Gates KA Batley LH, Suh HH Gold DR. Ambient Pollution and Blood Pressure in Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients. Circulation, 2004; 110: 2184-9.
35. Koutrakis P, Suh HH, Sarnat J, Brown KW, Coull B, Schwartz J. Characterization of Particulate and Gas Exposures of Sensitive Sub-Populations Living in Baltimore and Boston. Health Effects Institute, Boston, MA, 2004, Research Report Number 98-7.
36. Gold D, Litonjua A, Zanobetti A, Coull BA, Schwartz J, MacCallum G, Verrier RL, Nearing BD, Canner MA, Suh H, Stone PA. Air Pollution and ST-segment Depression in Elderly Subjects. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2005; 113 (7):883-7.
37. Tonne C, Schwartz J, Mittleman M, Melly S, Suh H, Goldberg R. Long-Term Survival after Acute Myocardial Infarction is Lower in More Deprived Neighborhoods. Circulation, 2005; 111 (23):3063-70.
38. Schwartz J, Litonjua A, Suh H, Verrier M, Zanobetti A, Syring M, Nearing B, Verrier R, Stone P, MacCallum G, Speizer FE, Gold DR. Traffic ¬Related Pollution and Heart Rate Variability in a Panel of Elderly Subjects. Thorax, 2005; 60(6):455-61.
39. Ebelt S, Chang LT, Ruiz P, Suh HH. Detailed Characterization of Indoor and Personal Particulate Matter Concentrations. California Air Resources Board, Sacramento, CA, Research Report 00-302. 2004.
40. Thurston GD, Ito K, Mar T, Christensen WF, Eatough DJ, Henry RC, Kim E, Laden F, Lall R, Larson TV, Liu H, Neas L, Pinto J, Stolzel M, Suh HH, Hopke, PK. The Workshop on the Source Apportionment of PM Health Effects: Inter-Comparison of Results and Implications. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2005; 113 (12):1768-74.
41. Wheeler A, Zanobetti A, Gold DR, Schwartz J, Stone P, Suh HH. The Relationship between Ambient Air Pollution and Heart Rate Variability (HRV) Differs for Individuals with Heart and Pulmonary Disease. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2006; 114:(4)560-6.
42. Sarnat SE, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Gold DR, Suh HH. Factors Affecting the Association between Ambient Concentrations and Personal Exposures to Particles and Gases: Implications for Air Pollution Epidemiology. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2006; 114(5):649-54.
43. Sarnat SE, Ruiz PA, Coull BA, Koutrakis P, Suh HH. The Influences of Ambient Particle Composition and Size on Particle Infiltration in Los Angeles, CA residences. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2006; 56:186-96.
44. Dubowsky SD, Suh HH, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Gold DR. Diabetes, Obesity, and Hypertension May Enhance the Acute Inflammatory Response to Air Pollution. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2006; 114(7):992-8.
45. Hopke PK, Ito K, Mar T, Christiansen WF, Eatough DJ, Henry RC, Kim E, Laden F, Lall R, Larson TV, Liu H, Neas L, Pinto J, Stotzel M, Suh H, Paatero P, Thurston GD. PM Source Apportionment and Health Effects: 1. Intercomparison of Source Apportionment Results. Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology, 2006; 16(3)275-86.
46. Luttmann-Gibson H, Suh HH, Coull BA, Dockery DW, Sarnat SE, Schwartz J, Stone PH, Gold DR. Short-Term Effects of Air Pollution on Heart Rate Variability in Senior Adults in Steubenville, OH. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 2006; 48(8):780-8.
47. Park SK, O’Neill MS, Wright RO, Hu H, Vokonas P, Sparrow D, Suh HH, Schwartz J. HFE Genotype, Particulate Air Pollution, and Heart Rate Variability: A Gene-Environment Interaction. Circulation, 2006; 114(25):2798-05.
48. Hansen A, Edgerton E, Hartsell B, Janssen J, Burge H, Koutrakis P, Rogers C, Suh HH, Chow J, Zielinska B, McMurray P, Mulholland J, Russell A, Rasmussen R. Air Quality Measurements for Aerosol Research and Inhalation Epidemiology Study. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2006; 56:1445-58.
49. Sarnat SE, Suh HH, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Stone PH, Gold DR. Ambient Particulate Air Pollution and Cardiac Arrhythmia in a Panel of Senior Adults in Steubenville, OH. Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 2006; 63(10):700-6.
50. Adar SD, Gold DR, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Stone PH, Suh HH. Focused Exposures to Airborne Traffic Particles and Heart Rate Variability in the Elderly. Epidemiology, 2007; 18(1):95-103.
51. Adar SD, Adamkiewicz G, Gold DR, Schwartz J, Coull BA, Suh HH. Ambient and Micro-Environmental Particles on Exhaled Nitric Oxide before and after a Group Bus Trip. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2007; 115(4):507-12.
52. Gryparis A, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Suh HH. Semiparametric Regression Models for Spatio-Temporal Modeling of Mobile Source Particles in the Greater Boston Area. Applied Statistics, 2007; 56 (Part 2), 183-209.
53. Chahine T, Baccarelli A, Litonjua A, Wright RO, Suh H, Gold DR, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, Schwartz J. Particulate Air Pollution, Oxidative Stress Genes, and Heart Rate Variability in an Elderly Cohort. Environmental Health Perspectives 2007; 115:1617-22.
54. Alexeeff SE, Litonjua AA, Suh H, Sparrow D, Vokonas PS, Schwartz J. Ozone Exposure and Lung Function: Effect Modified by Obesity, Airways Hyperresponsiveness in the VA Normative Aging Study. Chest 2007; 132:1890-7.
55. Wellenius GA, Yeh GY, Coull BA, Suh HH, Phillips RS, Mittleman MA. Effects of Ambient Air Pollution on Functional Status in Patients with Chronic Congestive Heart Failure: A Repeated-Measures Study. Environmental Health 2007, 6:26 (10 Sept.).
56. Baccarelli A, Cassano PA, Litonjua A, Park SK, Suh HH, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, Schwartz J. Cardiac Autonomic Dysfuncion: Effects from Particulate Air Pollution and Protection by Dietary Methyl Nutrients and Metabolic Polymorphisms. Circulation 2008; 117:1802-9.
57. Yanosky J, Paciorek C, Schwartz J, Laden F, Puett R, Suh H. Spatio-Temporal Modeling of Chronic PM10 Exposure for the Nurses’ Health Study. Atmospheric Environment 2008; 42: 4047-62.
58. Chuang KJ, Coull BA, Suh HH, Gold DM. Particulate Air Pollution as a Risk Factor for ST-segment Depression in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease. Circulation 2008; 118:1314-20.
59. Park, SK, O’Neill MS, Vokonas PS, Sparrow D, Spiro A, Tucker KL, Suh HH, Hu H, Schwartz J. Traffic-Related Particles are Associated with Elevated Homocysteine: The VA Normative Aging Study. Am Journal of Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine 2008; 178(3);283-9.
60. Brown KW, Sarnat JA, Suh HH, Coull BA, Spengler JD, Koutrakis P. Ambient Site, Home Outdoor and Home Indoor Particulate Concentrations as Proxies of Personal Exposures. Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 2008; 10(9):1041-51.
61. Yanosky JD, Schwartz J, Suh HH. Associations between Measures of Socioeconomic Position and Chronic Nitrogen Dioxide Exposure in Worcester, Massachusetts. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part A, 2008; 71:24, 1593-1602.
62. MacIntosh D, Myatt T, Ludwig J, Baker B, Suh HH, Spengler JD. Whole House Particle Removal and Clean Air Delivery Rates for In-Duct and Portable Ventilation Systems. J Air Waste Management Association 2008; 58:1474-82.
63. Puett R, Schwartz J, Hart JE, Yanosky JD, Speizer FE, Suh H, Paciorek C, Neas L, Laden F. Chronic Particulate Exposure, Mortality and Coronary Heart Disease in the Nurses' Health Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2008; 168(10):1161-8. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwn232.
64. Alexeeff SE, Litonjua AA, Wright RO, Baccarelli A, Suh H, Sparrow D, Vokonas PS, Schwartz J. Ozone exposure, antioxidant genes, and lung function in an elderly cohort: VA Normative Aging Study. J Occupational & Environmental Medicine 2008 65(11):736-42.
65. Yanosky JD, Paciorek CJ, Suh HH. Predicting Chronic Fine and Coarse Particulate Exposures using Spatio-Temporal Models for the Northeastern and Midwestern US. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2009:117(4):522-9 doi:10.1289/ehp.11692.
66. Paciorek, CJ, Yanosky JD, Pruett RC, Laden F, Suh HH. Practical Large-Scale Spatio-Temporal Modeling of Particulate Matter Concentrations. Harvard University Biostatistics Working Paper 76. Annals of Applied Statistics 2009; 3(1):369-396.
67. Lokken RP, Wellenius GA, Coull BA, Burger MR, Schlaug G, Suh HH, Mittleman MA. Air Pollution and Risk of Stroke - Underestimation of Effect Due to Misclassification of Time Event Onset. Epidemiology 2009; 20(1):137-41.
68. Baccarelli A, Wright RO, Bollati V, Tarantini L. Litonjua AA, Suh HH, Zanobetti A, Sparrow D, Vokonas PS, Schwartz J. Rapid DNA Methylation Changes after Exposure to Traffic Particles. Am J Respiratory Critical Care Med 2009; 179(7):572-8. doi:10.1164/rcccm.200807-1097OC.
69. Bollati V, Schwartz J, Wright R, Litonjua A, Tarantini L, Suh H, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, Baccarelli A. Decline in Genomic DNA Methylation through Aging in a Cohort of Elderly Subjects. Mechanisms of Aging and Development 2009; 130(4): 234-239. doi:10.1016/j.mad.2008.12.003.
70. Baxter LK, Wright RJ, Paciorek CJ, Laden F, Suh HH, Levy JI. Effects of Exposure Measurement Error in the Analysis of Health Effects from Traffic-Related Air Pollution. J Exp Sci Environ Epidem 2010; 20(1): 101-111. doi:10.1016/jes.2009.5.
71. Von Klot S, Gryparis A, Tonne C, Yanosky J, Coull BA, Goldberg R, Lessard D, Melly S, Suh H, Schwartz J. Elemental Carbon Exposure at Residence Survival after Acute Myocardial Infarction. Epidemiology 2009; 20(3): 547-54.
72. Mukamal,KJ, Wellenius GA, Suh HH, Mittleman MA. Weather and Air Pollution as Triggers of Severe Headaches SYMBOL. Neurology 2009; 72(10); 922-7.
73. Wilker E, Mittleman MA, Litonjua GA, Poon A, Baccarelli A, Suh H, Wright RO, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, Schwartz J. Postural Changes in Blood Pressure Associated with Interactions between Candidate Genes for Chronic Respiratory Disease and Exposure to Particulate Matter. Environmental Health Perspectives 2009; 117(6): 935-40.
74. Sarnat J, Brown K, Bartell S, Sarnat S, Wheeler A, Suh HH, Koutrakis P. The Relationship between Averaged Sulfate Exposures and Concentrations: Results from Exposure Assessment Panel Studies in Four U.S. Cities. Environmental Science &Technology 2009; 43(13): 5028-34.
75. Brown KW, Sarnat JA, Suh H, Coull BA, Koutrakis P. Factors Influencing Relationships between Personal and Ambient Concentrations of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants. Science Total Environment, 2009; 407(12):365-75. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.02.016.
76. Ren C, Baccarelli A, Wilker E, Suh H, Sparrow D, Pantel V, Wright R, Schwartz J. Lipid and Endothelian Related Genes, Ambient Particulate Matter, and Heart Rate Variability – The Normative Aging Study. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2009; doi: 10.1136/jech.2008.83295.
77. Puett R, Hart JE, Yanosky J, Paciorek CJ, Schwartz J, Suh H, Speizer FE, Laden F. Chronic Fine and Coarse Particulate Exposure, Mortality and Coronary Heart Disease in the Nurses’ Health Study. Environmental Health Perspectives 2009; 117(11):1697-1701. doi:10.1289/ehp/.0900572
78. Mordukhovich I, Wright RO, Camarasi , Baja E, Suh HH, Baccarelli A, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, Schwartz J. Association between Low-Level Environmental Arsenic Exposure and QT Interval Duration in a General Population Study. Am J Epidemiology 2009; 170 (6): 739-746. doi 10.1093/aje/kwp191.
79. Mordukhovich I, Wright RO, Suh H, Wilker E, Sparrow D, Vokonas PS, Schwartz J. Black Carbon Exposure, Oxidative Stress Genes, and Blood Pressure in a Repeated Measures Study. Environmental Health Perspectives 2009; 117(11): Nov 2009.
80. Ren C, Park, SK Vokonas PS, Sparrow D, Wilker E, Baccarelli A, Suh H, Tucker KL, Wright RO, Schwartz J. Air Pollution and Homocysteine: More Evidence that Oxidative Stress-related Genes Modify Effects of Particulate Air Pollution. Epidemiology, in press.
81. Zanobetti A, Stone PH, Speizer FE, Schwartz JD, Coull BA, Suh H, Nearing BC, Mittleman MA, Verrier RL, Gold DR. T-Wave Alternans, Air Pollution and Traffic in High-Risk Subjects. American Journal of Cardiology, in press.
82. Mittleman M, Coull B, Schlaug B, Wellenius G, Suh H, Burger M. Misclassification of Onset Time of Acute Cardiovascular Events Leads to Underestimation of Air Pollution Health Effects. Epidemiology in press.
83. Malloy EJ, Morris JS, Adar SD, Suh H Gold DR, Coull BA. Wavelet-based functional linear mixed models: an application to measurement error corrected distributed lag models. Biostatistics 2010; 11(3): 432–452.
84. Madrigano J, Baccarelli A, Wright RO, Suh H, Sparrow D, Vokonas PS, Schwartz J. Air pollution, obesity, genes and cellular adhesion molecules. Occupat Environ Med 2010; 67(5): 312-317.
85. Wilker E, Baccarelli A, Suh HH, Vokonas P, Wright RO, Schwartz J. Black Carbon Exposures, Blood Pressure and Interactions with SNPs in MicroRNA Processing Genes. Environ Health Perspect 2010; 118(7): 943-948.
86. Baja ES, Schwartz JD, Wellenius GA, Coull BA, Zanobetti A, Vokonas PS, Suh HH. Traffic-Related Air Pollution and QT Interval: Modification by Diabetes, Obesity, and Oxidative Stress Gene Polymorphisms in the Normative Aging Study (NAS). Environ Health Perspect 118(6): doi:10.1289/ehp.0901396.
87. Kang CM, Koutrakis P, Suh HH. Hourly Measurements of Fine Particulate Sulfate and Carbon Aerosols at the Harvard-EPA Supersite in Boston. JAWMA 2010; 60(11): 1327-1334.
88. Suh HH, Zanobetti A. Exposure error masks the relation between traffic pollution and heart rate variability. J Occup Environ Medicine 2010; 52(7):685-692.
89. McCracken J, Baccarelli A, Suh HH, Melly SJ, Schwartz J. Annual Ambient Black Carbon Associated with Shorter Telomeres in Elderly Men: Veterans Administration Normative Aging Study. Environ Health Perspect 2010; 118 (11): 1564-1570.
90. Ren C, Fang S, Wright R, Suh HH, Schwartz J. Urinary 8-Hydroxy-2´-Deoxyguanosine as a Biomarker of Oxidative DNA Damage Induced by Ambient Pollution in the Normative Aging Study. J Occup Environ Medicine in press.
91. Ren C, Vokonas PS, Suh HH, Fang S, Christiani DC, Schwartz J. Effect Modification of Air pollution on Urinary 8-Hydroxy-2'-Deoxyguanosine by Genotypes -- an Application of the Multiple Testing Procedure to Identify Significant SNP Interactions. Environ Health 2010, 9:78. doi:10.1186/1476-069X-9-78
92. Brochu P, Kioumourtzoglou MA, Coull BA, Hopke P, Suh HH. Development of a New Method to Estimate the Regional and Local Contributions to Black Carbon. Atmos Environ in press 2011, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2011.01.074.
93. Alexeeff SE, Coull BA, Gryparis A, Suh H, Sparrow D, Vokonas PS, Schwartz J. Medium-Term Exposure to Traffic-Related Air Pollution and Markers of Inflammation and Endothelial Function. Environ Health Perspect 2011, 119: 481-486. doi:10.1289/ehp.1002560
94. Wilker E, Alexeeff S, Suh H, Vokonas P, Baccarelli A, Schwartz J. Ambient pollutants, polymorphisms associated with microRNA processing and adhesion molecules: the Normative Aging Study. Environ Health 2011, 10:45.
95. Brochu PJ, Yanosky JD, Paciorek CJ, Schwartz J, Chen JT, Herrick RF, Suh HH. Particulate Air Pollution and Socioeconomic Position in Rural and Urban Areas of the Northeastern United States. American Journal Public Health 2011, 101: S224-S230. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2011.300232. *
96. Suh HH, Zanobetti A, Schwartz J, Coull B. Chemical Properties of Air Pollutants and Cause-Specific Hospital Admissions among the Elderly in Atlanta, GA. Environ Health Perspect 2011, 119(10): doi:10.1289/ehp.1002646.
97. Myatt T, MacIntosh D, Kobczik L, Vincent M, Suh H. Markers of Inflammation in Alveolar Cells Exposed to Fine Particulate Matter from Prescribed Fires and Urban Air. J Occup Environ Med 2011, 53(10):1110-4.
98. Puett, R, Hart, J, Suh, H, Mittleman, M, Laden, F. Particulate matter exposures, mortality and cardiovascular disease in the health professionals follow-up study. Environ Health Persp 2011; 119(8):1130-1135.
99. Wellenius GA, Burger MR, Coull BA, Schwartz J, Suh HH, Koutrakis P, Schlaug G, Gold DR, Mittleman MA. Ambient Air Pollution and the Risk of Acute Ischemic Stroke. Arch Internal Med 2012; 172(3):229-234.
100. Wellenius GA, Wilhelm-Benartzi CS, Wilker E, Coull BA, Suh HH, Koutrakis P, Lipsitz LA. Ambient Particulate Matter and the Response to Orthostatic Challenge in the Elderly: The MOBILIZE Boston Study. Hypertension 2012, 59(3):558-63.
101. Mostofsky E, Schwartz J, Coull BA, Koutrakis P, Wellenius GA, Suh HH, Gold D, Mittleman M. Modeling the Association between Particle Constituents of Air Pollution and Health Outcomes. Am J Epidemiology in press.
102. Alexeeff SE, Mordukhovich I, Gryparis A, Vokonas P, Suh H, Coull B, Schwartz J. Association between long-term exposure to traffic particles and blood pressure in the VA Normative Aging Study. Environ Occup Med in press.