PGY1 COMMUNITY PHARMACY RESIDENCY with WALGREENS CLICK HERE
Specific questions about the above Northeastern/Walgreens residency position can be directed to Dr. Nate Rickles via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 617-373-7721. For more information about this program please click on above link.
PGY1 PHARMACY RESIDENCY (in collaboration with FQHC & PACE)
(Federally Qualified Health Centers & Program All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly)
The residency program, jointly sponsored by Northeastern University – School of Pharmacy (NU-SOP) and Federally Qualified Community Health Centers (FQCHs) and Program All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE), provides a structured education and training experience for post-graduate pharmacists who desire to accelerate beyond entry-level professional competence. The goal of this one-year residency is to promote development of expertise in the drug therapy management of chronic disease states commonly encountered in urban FQHC and PACE programs. The resident will practice in a collaborative environment and have responsibilities for the provision of patient care.
Core areas of practice will include primary care medicine, drug information, anticoagulation, geriatrics, and community pharmacy (staffing 1 night/week and 1 weekend/month), with opportunity for experiences in HIV/AIDs and behavioral health. S/he will be expected to complete a residency project, gain experience in pharmacy administration, participate in experiential / didactic teaching and complete a teaching certificate at NU-SOP. Finally, the resident will develop and refine skills to successfully self-monitor his / her progress and gain the ability to function proficiently as a member of an integrated health care team (patient-centered medical home model). Upon completion, the resident will have achieved abilities in various areas of pharmacy practice to allow him / her to pursue a wide variety of career paths and to become a leader within the profession. Motivated individuals with a commitment to urban healthcare and educational excellence are encouraged to apply.
Academic Responsibilities to the School of Pharmacy:
- Appointment at Northeastern University as Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Jointly participate in the instruction of up to 4 doctor of pharmacy students per APPE rotation assigned to the full-time university faculty member at the Site
- Prepare and present at least one large group teaching per year (final number negotiable), at least two small group teachings, and be present at examinations of the students that are relevant to the didactic lectures for the purpose of answering questions
- Lead weekly ambulatory care rounds and topic discussions with APPE students.
- Participate in 1 three-hour Comprehensive Disease Management (CDM) Seminar per week during one semester and work 1 three-hour lab session in the Pharmaceutical Care Laboratory during the alternate semester
- Attend appropriate departmental faculty meetings scheduled each semester
Clinical Responsibilities to the Site:
- Participate actively in patient care and drug consultation on the assigned patient care clinics
- Work collaboratively with the health care practitioners to provide patient services
- Provide education and support for the Site’s staff
- Participate in drug utilization reviews and clinical intervention and documentation systems
- Provide medication counseling for the Site’s patients
- Provide services for the anticoagulation clinic
- Provide comprehensive medication regimen reviews and patient counseling
- Provide drug information responses for providers and other health care professionals
- Participate in a clinical research project and prepare a poster presentation and an associated manuscript suitable for publication
Jenny A. Van Amburgh, PharmD, FAPhA, BCACP, CDE
Kathleen Bungay, PharmD, BCPP Assistant Clinical Professor
Debra Reid, PharmD, CDE Associate Clinical Professor
Northeastern University – School of Pharmacy
360 Huntington Avenue
218R in 140 The Fenway
Boston, Massachusetts 02115-5000
|Harbor Health Services, Inc.
Community Health Centers:
|Harbor Health Services, Inc.
Elder Service Plan (Mattapan, MA)
How to Apply: Please complete the PhORCAS Application process.
Back to top