School of Pharmacy

A Look Back

Print this PageHome > School of Pharmacy > A Look Back

Photo Gallery 

Text Timeline

1927-1962

 

1962-2012

 

A Photographic History of 1927-1959

A Photographic History of the 1960s

A Photographic History of the 1970s

A Photographic History of the 1980s

A Photographic History of the 1990s

A Photographic History of 2000-2012


 

A Brief Outline of the History of the Pharmacy Program 

 

1927 – The Meriano School of Pharmacy is founded by Constantine Meriano, and was located at 255 Huntington Avenue, Boston, through 1943.

Constantine Meriano

Dean Constantine Meriano

 1940 – The Meriano School of Pharmacy is incorporated under the name the Boston School of Pharmacy as a nonprofit educational institution.

1946 – The Boston School of Pharmacy reopens, after being closed during World War II from 1943 to 1946, at the corner of Pickney and Anderson Streets on Beacon Hill.

1949 – The Boston School of Pharmacy is renamed the New England College of Pharmacy, and moves to its new facilities at 70-72 Mount Vernon Street.

New England College of Pharmacy

New England College of Pharmacy

1960 – New England College of Pharmacy offers the Masters of Science degree.

1962 – The New England College of Pharmacy merges with Northeastern University to become the Northeastern University College of Pharmacy. The BS in Pharmacy is extended from four to five years to meet new accreditation standards and incorporate the cooperative education (co-op) system into the curriculum. This is the first pharmacy program in the nation to be conducted using the cooperative model education.

LeRoy C. Keagle, President of the New England College of Pharmacy, becomes the first Dean of the Northeastern University College of Pharmacy.

1966 – The Northeastern University College of Pharmacy expands its graduate degree program.

1975 – Albert H. Soloway is named Dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions.

1978 – Gerald E. Schumacher is named Dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions.

1988 – James J. Gozzo is appointed Interim Dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions.

1992 – The Boston Bouvé College of Human Development Professions merges with the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions to form Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

             James J. Gozzo is appointed first Dean of the newly formed college.

1997 – Entry level Doctor of Pharmacy program begins.

1998 – Patrick F. Plunkett is named Interim Dean of Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.

1999 – The Bouvé College of Health Sciences is formed to become the home of the Northeastern University School of Pharmacy, School of Nursing and the School of Health Professions.

Judith Barr is appointed Interim Dean of the School of Pharmacy.

2001 – Daniel C. Robinson appointed Dean of the School of Pharmacy.

2002 – The George D. Behrakis Health Sciences Center becomes the new home of the Bouvé College of Health Sciences.

George and Margo Behrakis

George D. and Margo Behrakis

2006 – John R. Reynolds is appointed Dean of the School of Pharmacy.

2012 – The School of Pharmacy moves to its new location at 140 The Fenway and celebrates its 85th Anniversary, with 50 years at Northeastern University.

Back to Top