Academic Requirements for Enrolled Students
1. Students are expected to maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 ("B") in all course work. If the cumulative GPA falls below 3.0, students are placed on academic probation. Only two courses may be repeated in meeting the GPA of at least 3.0 ("B") required for the degree. "Satisfactory" and "Unsatisfactory" grades are not included in the GPA.
2. Students must receive a grade of "C" or better in each individual course. If a course grade is below "C," students are placed on academic probation even if the GPA is above 3.0.
3. Students must obtain a GPA of at least 3.0 ("B") in each semester. If the GPA for any semester is below 3.0, students are placed on academic probation.
4. Students who receive a grade of "F" or "U" in a course may make up the course, based on their adviser's recommendation and permission of the program director. Students are not permitted to repeat a course more than once. As didactic courses are offered only once each year, students may have to wait at least one year to repeat a failed course or one in which they received a grade of "U." In some cases, this could mean that students may not continue in the program because they have not completed a prerequisite. Course credits earned in the program are valid for a maximum of four years unless an extension is granted by the PA program director.
5. To be removed from probation, students must clear any deficient grades; maintain a 3.0 GPA in all future semesters without receiving an "I," "F," "U," or "W" grade; meet the requirements listed above; and petition for removal from probationary status. Students who do not meet these requirements are subject to dismissal. Readmission to the program is at the discretion of the Program Admissions Committee.
6. An "I" (Incomplete) grade will be changed to a letter grade when the deficiency that led to the "I" is corrected to the satisfaction of and in the manner prescribed by the course instructor. A grade of "I" must be cleared within one calendar year from the date of its initial recording on a student's permanent record. Students must sign an Incomplete Contract with the program as required by the Registrar's office and complete the terms specified prior to clearing the "I".
7. A letter grade is given for each clinical rotation (applied study). The clinical grade includes a review of the student's clinical performance and professional conduct as determined by the preceptor at each site. A grade of at least "C" in each clinical rotation is required. If a student fails a rotation, repeating it is at the discretion of the preceptor and program director. A student may repeat only one rotation during the entire PA Program.
8. Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA to enter their second year (Semester 4). Students must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA during the clinical year or be placed on academic probation. In order to graduate, students must pass all end-of-rotation exams, the comprehensive exam, and complete a scholarly paper prior to graduation.
9. Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA upon completion of the program to receive the master's degree.
202 Robinson Hall