Exercise Science (MS) Curriculum
A total of 12 courses or 36 semester hours are required for completion of this degree and includes the following core and elective courses.
1. Exercise Science Core (4 courses; 12 SH) provides the foundation for the understanding of advanced principles of exercise physiology on acute and chronic responses to endurance and strength exercise in major body systems including the cardiopulmonary and musculoskeletal systems.
- Advanced Exercise Physiology
- Cardiopulmonary Physiology
- Exercise and Musculoskeletal Health
- Assessment and Prescription for Exercise and Physical Activity
2. Research/Practicum core (3 courses; 9 SH) provides the foundation to understand the fundamental principles and concepts of conducting scientific research including study design, research methods, biostatistics, and epidemiology. The research practicum allows the integration of this knowledge through experiential learning where students design a research study and undergo peer-evaluation.
- Research Practicum
3. Public Health Core (2 courses; 6 SH) provides the foundation to plan, develop, and evaluate primary prevention programs. Students will be able to apply this knowledge to implement evidence-based physical activity wellness programs in real-world settings.
- Health Education and Program Planning
- Public Health Administration and Policy
4. Elective Courses in the concentrations (3 courses; 9 SH). Students will be able to elect 3 courses in either public health, practice-based, or research concentrations to deepen their knowledge in one of these competency areas.
- Public Health concentration Electives
- Urban Community Health Assessment
- Environmental Health
- Global Health
- Public Health Nutrition
- Practice-based concentration electives
- Clinical Nutrition Applications in Health & Disease
- Patient-Centered Health Informatics
- Internship in Exercise Science
- Pathophysiology for Advanced Practice
- Research concentration electives
- Thesis I & II
- Directed Study
- Applied Regression Analysis
- Advances in Measuring Behavior
Total Semester Hours: 36