1913 - Boston School of Physical Education (BSPE) was established by 7 graduates of the Boston Normal School of Gymnastics. The two-year program was designed to train physical education teachers.
1914 - BSPE was incorporated.
1915 - The First Class of 10 graduated from BSPE
1918 - Marguerite Sanderson organized World War I Emergency courses for Reconstruction Aides in Physical Therapy for the Arms Hospitals. At BSPE, three groups were trained in six-week courses.
1924 - Marjorie Bouvé left her position as Director of BSPE to found the Bouve School which was incorporated in 1925. Mary Florence Stratton became the Director of BSPE.
1925 - BSPE established a three-year curriculum. Students could choose to specialize either in physical education or physical therapy.
BSI (Bouvé School Incorporated) began as a normal school of physical education in the Fall with an enrollment of 28 students in a three-year program. Some students opted to specialize in physical therapy.
1927 - Physical Therapy (PT) courses expanded to become a major; Esther Klein was named the first PT Department Chair.
Meriano School of Pharmacy was founded by Constantine M. Meriano. It was located in the Beacon Hill area of Boston.
1928 - BSI graduates its first class of 18 students. The school was accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association in 1930.
1929 - Ms. Ruth Page Sweet was named Dean of BSI. Ms. Sweet served as Dean from 1929-1946 when she was appointed Administrative Director. She was made Director in 1948 when Ms. Bouvé became Director emerita.
1930 - BSPE and BSI consolidated under the charter of the Boston School of Physical Education, forming the Bouvé Boston School of Physical Education (BBSPE) to prepare physical education teachers and physical therapists. Ms. Stratton, Director of BSPE, left the school and Ms. Bouve Director of BSI, became the Director of the new school.
BBSPE formed an affiliation with Simmons College whereby students completing the four-year course received a BS in Education from Simmons College.
1931- Ms. Constantine K. Green appointed as Chair of the Physical Therapy Department (she served as Chair until 1962).
1933 - First BBSPE students received the BS degree from Simmons College in June.
1935 - BBSPE began a cultural exchange program with Japan - evidence of an early commitment to cultural diversity in the Bouvé Boston School.
1936 - BBSPE is accredited by the American Medical Association.
1938-1951- Camp Mon-o-moy was established.
1940 - The Meriano School was incorporated as The Boston School of Pharmacy (BSP), a nonprofit educational institution.
1941 - BSP established a standard four-year program leading to a BS degree in Pharmacy under auspices of the Board of Collegiate Authority. A few months later, the school was forced to suspend its four-year curriculum because of the war.
1942 - BBSPE affiliated with Tufts University phasing in a four-year degree for all students and a specialized degree for physical therapy.
1943-1945 - World War II Emergency Courses were organized. At BBSPE, three classes received six months of course work followed by six months as apprentice aides in Army hospitals.
1946 - BSP was approved by the Board of Registration in Pharmacy and the Commissioner of education of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
1948 - The Board of Collegiate Authority approved the application of the BSP to confer the BS degree in Pharmacy.
1949 - Pre professional Medical Technology (MT) program was the first health professions program on campus. At that time, the MT program was located in the Biology Department in the College of Liberal Arts.
The Boston School of Pharmacy was renamed the New England College of Pharmacy (NECP). A few days later NECP moved into facilities at 70-72 Mount Vernon Street that had been purchased from Boston University School of Theology.
1950 - BS Program in Medical Technology was initiated as an option of the Biology curriculum.
1952 - In January, NECP was granted accreditation by the American Council of Pharmaceutical Education.
1955 - Physical Therapists received pins in the program's first pinning ceremony.
First BSMT was granted.
1957- Students entering in the fall of 1957 were admitted directly into the physical therapy course or the physical education course.
1958 - A proposed five-year co-op program in Medical Technology was drafted as a student initiative by Maureen Clark, Britta Karlsson, Jane Kissling, Shirley Newman, and presented to:
- Dr. Nathan Riser, Chair of Biology
- Dr. Bradley A. Copeland, Clinical Pathologist at the New England Baptist and Deaconess Hospitals.
1960 - Minnie L. Lynn, PhD, became associated with Bouvé Boston School. In October, Dr. Lynn assumed full-time directorship of the School.
New England College of Pharmacy (NECP) offers the Masters of Science degree in Medicinal Chemistry.
1961- Five-year co-op program in Medical Technology, in cooperation with the New England Baptist and Deaconess Hospitals, was approved by the Board of Schools of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists.
A four-year course was established leading to a Bachelor of Science Degree in Physical Therapy.
Director's of Boston's six major nursing schools (MGH, Peter Bent Brigham, Children's Hospital Medical Center, Beth Israel, New England Deaconess, and New England Baptist) recommend that local higher education institutions should provide programs to augment those being offered in hospital schools.
1962 - NECP merged with Northeastern University, but continued to operate from the Mt. Vernon Street location under the name of the Northeastern University College of Pharmacy (NUCP). It was the first new basic college at NU since the establishment of the College of Education in 1954.
LeRoy C. Keagle, President of NECP, became the first Dean of the Northeastern University College of Pharmacy.
The BS in Pharmacy was extended from four to five years to incorporate the cooperative education system into the curriculum. This was the first pharmacy program in the nation to be conducted on the cooperative plan of education.
Kerkor Kassabian designed a course of study in Athletic Training as an emphasis area in Physical Education.
The National League for Nursing, accrediting body for nursing education, approves an "experimental" program designed by Miss Ruth Sleeper, Director of Nurses at MGH. The program enables aspiring nurses to study academic subjects at Northeastern University while learning nursing techniques at the hospital. Forty-four students are accepted into the program's first class.
1963 - Henry E. Warren donated land in Ashland, MA, to Northeastern University. Three years later, on May 12, 1957, the Warren Center for Physical Education and Recreation and the Hayden Lodge were dedicated.
Warren Center - The College of Pharmacy moved to the Mugar Life Sciences Building on the main campus of Northeastern University.
Mugar Life Sciences Building - Plans for the establishment of a distinct College of Nursing are formulated and two separate nursing education programs are adopted: a three-year cooperative associate degree program to be introduced September 1964 and a five-year cooperative bachelor degree program to be initiated as soon as resources allowed. Children's Hospital Medical Center, MGH, and Beth Israel agree to provide nursing students with opportunities for cooperative work experience.
Dr. Charlotte Voss, a member of the faculty of Western Reserve University School of Nursing and Director of the School of Nursing at Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital, accepts the appointment as the new College's first Dean.
1964 - Bouvé Boston School merged with Northeastern University to become the Boston-Bouvé College of Northeastern University with Dr. Lynn assuming the position of Dean. The college opened with three departments:
- Physical Education for Men
- Physical Education for Women
- Physical Therapy for Men and Women
The First Student Government Assembly was founded:
BS Degree program was initiated in Recreation education with Dr. Catherine Allen as its first Chair.
The College of Pharmacy began several graduate degree programs including MS degrees in:
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Industrial Pharmacy Pharmacy in the 1960's - First class of the Northeastern University College of Nursing.
1965 - The first classes were graduated from the five-year baccalaureate degree programs in both Medical technology and Pharmacy.
1966 - Boston-Bouvé College moved to the Northeastern University's Huntington Avenue campus in September. Between merging with NU and moving on campus, educational programs were conducted in the buildings on the Tufts campus without interruption of the liberal arts and professional programs. Degrees were granted by Tufts and the professional diplomas presented by Bouve Boston School.
Part-time BS in Medical Technology program was established in affiliation with Lincoln and University Colleges at NU.
Mary Gass Robinson Hall was dedicated on April 7, 1966. This classroom/laboratory building housed both the College of Nursing and Boston-Bouvé Departments.
1967- Dr. Catherine L. Allen became Dean of the Boston-Bouvé College.
BBC began developing summer camp programs for underprivileged youth, staffed by Boston-Bouvé students.
AS degree program in Respiratory Therapy was established.
1968 - First full four-year undergraduate classes enrolled in physical education, physical therapy, and recreation.
On October 25, Charles and Estelle Dockser Hall, the home of the Boston-Bouvé College, was dedicated. The building houses administrative and faculty offices, laboratories, classrooms, a dance studio, and a gymnasium. PE students were bused to Warren Center for classes in PE skills: field hockey, soccer, lacrosse, and tennis. Athletics programs (basketball, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, and later tennis and volleyball) for women were administered from the PE Department until the early 1980's.
1969 - Health Sciences Council was formed. NU had several health programs located in different colleges.
The Council was asked to assume the faculty academic responsibility for these health programs on an interim basis until an appropriate academic home could be found or created. Programs within the Division of Health Sciences included Dental Hygiene, Inhalation Therapy, and Medical Records.
BS program in Cytotechnology was initiated through University College.
After serving for a year as Acting Dean, Juanita O. Long is appointed Dean of the Northeastern University College of Nursing. Her tenure as Dean will last for twenty years.
Juanita O. Long - One of Dean Long's most notable achievements is broadening the scope of cooperative work assignments so that nursing students can choose from a number of metropolitan and suburban hospitals in which to complete their work requirement.
1970 - MS degree programs established in:
* Physical Education (with concentrations in either Administration and Supervision or in Curriculum and Instruction)
* Recreation Education (with concentrations in Community, Therapeutics, or Outdoor Recreation) with Physical Therapy graduate offerings in 1991.
Camp for severely handicapped children was instituted at the Warren Center by the Department of Recreation in conjunction with an Easter Seal Society pilot project.
1971- Founded by Suzanne B. Greenberg, the Physician Assistant program was transferred to NU from Tufts University School of Medicine.
Programs in Health Record Administration, Medical Laboratory Science, Physician Assistant, and Respiratory Therapy joined with the College of Pharmacy to form the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions (CPAHP).
The Health Education Department is added to Boston-Bouvé College to prepare graduates to teach health education in the schools. H. Marie Garrity is named Program Director.
1972 - BBC programs lengthened to five years.
The two departments of Physical Education were merged into a single, coeducational unit. Dean Allen served as Acting Chairman.
Athletic Training program receives approval from the National Athletic Training Association Professional Educational Committee.
An MS specialization in Clinical Chemistry is added to the MS in MLS programs through the joint efforts of the faculty in Medicinal Chemistry, Medical Technology, and the Chemistry Department.
Federal research funds are obtained to support an innovative Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Associate Program at Northeastern University College of Nursing. The preparation of nurse practitioners puts Northeastern University in the forefront of nursing education nationwide.
1973 - Boston-Bouvé first graduate degrees awarded. Five students receive MS degrees in recreation and one graduate degree is awarded in physical education.
First graduates receive the post baccalaureate certificate from the Physician Assistant program.
Northeastern University College of Nursing introduces an RN-BS program designed for experienced registered nurses who want to complete the academic requirements for a Bachelor of Nursing degree.
1974 - First AS in Medical Laboratory Technology, BS in Medical Technology, and MS in Medical Laboratory Science degrees were awarded from the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions (CPAHP).
Forty-six Northeastern University students are recognized in the first introduction ceremony for Sigma Theta Tau's local Gamma Epsilon Chapter.
1975 - Albert H. Soloway named Dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Profession (CPAHP).
1976 - The nation's first MS degree program in Radiopharmaceutical Sciences.
BS degree in Toxicology is approved.
MLS INternational Co-op Exchange program was begun. The first international co-op was in Sweden, but opportunities were later provided in the U.K., Ireland, Lebanon, Nigeria, and Portugal.
1977- BS degree replaces the AS degree in Respiratory Therapy. Perfusion Technology begins as a specialty with the BS in RT.
Dean Catherine L. Allen steps down as Dean to become Special Assistant to the President, a position she help until 1981.
1978 - Gerald E. Schumacher named Dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions (CPAHP).
The Cardiovascular Health and Exercise Center was initiated. The Center served the university community as well as participants from local businesses and the general public.
1979 - The MS in Exercise Science with specializations in Cardiovascular Health and Exercise, Biomechanics or Athletic Training began.
1980 - The College of Education and Boston-Bouvé College merge to become the Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions (BBCHDP). The new college created ten departments, which in the following two years were reorganized into five for administrative efficiency:
- Counseling Psychology
- Rehabilitation and Special Education
- Physical Therapy (Advanced Master Degree)
- Speech Language Pathology and Audiology
Paul Lepley was appointed as the first Dean of BBCHDP.
Advanced MS program in PT(specialty areas) approved.
Two new graduate programs were approved in CPAHP:
- Doctor of Pharmacy program
- PhD in Biomedical Sciences - with specializations in Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmaceutics, Pharmacology, and Toxicology. This umbrella doctoral program replaced several separate doctoral programs.
1981 - Advanced Master's programs in Cardiopulmonary and Neurological Physical Therapy were begun.
1981-1982 - Department of Drama and Speech Communication was reorganized into two separate departments.
1981-1983 - The Health, Education, and Leisure Studies and the Physical Education Departments merged to become the Department of Health, Sport, and Leisure studies. At this time, the college began a streamlining process that changed the college focus from training secondary education teachers and shifted from community, outdoor, therapeutic recreation to fitness, athletic training, and sports and recreation management. It expanded health education programs by including community health which prepared students for careers in rehabilitation centers, fitness and exercise centers and hospitals. By 1985, undergraduate programs were available only in three departments:
- Health, Sport, and Leisure
- Physical Therapy
A graduate-level program in Counseling Psychology and a certification of advanced graduate study program in Language Acquisition and Language Disorders were begun.
First Master of Health Professions (MHP) degrees awarded.
The CPAHP incepted an MS program in Biomedical Sciences that plays a complimentary role to the PhD program.
1985 - MLS Post baccalaureate Certificate program was initiated.
Post baccalaureate Certificate program began in Perfusion Technology.
1986 - An MS degree program is established in Recreation, Sport, and Fitness Management.
James J. Gozzo appointed the Interim Dean of the CPAHP.
1989 - The EdD degree program in Counseling Psychology was approved.
Phlebotomy Certificate Program initiated.
Students are admitted to the new Graduate School of Nursing at Northeastern University. Advanced practice education is available in four specializations:
- Critical Care Nursing
- Primary Care Nursing
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
The Nurse Anesthesia and Nursing Administration specializations would be added later.
Eileen Zungolo is appointed Dean of the College of Nursing.
1990 - Athletic Training becomes a stand-alone major.
Centers for Drug Education and for Drug Targeting and Analysis were established.
1991- Programs in Cardiovascular Technology, Respiratory Therapy, and Perfusion Technology became the Department of Cardiopulmonary Sciences.
Sister School relationship established between CPAHP and the Pharmacy Program Faculty of the Kaunas Medical Institute in Vilnius, Lithuania.
1992 - The Boston-Bouvé College of Human Development Professions merged with the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions to form the Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
James J. Gozzo was appointed first Dean of the newly formed college.
Nine Departments emerged as a result of the merger:
- Cardiopulmonary Sciences
- Counseling Psychology, Rehabilitation, and Special Education
- Health, Sport, and Leisure Studies
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Pharmacy Practice
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant Program
- Speech Language Pathology and Audiology
To concentrate on meeting the demand for health professionals in the above areas, the university administration decided to move the certificate program in Health Information Administration to University College; move the programs in education to the College of Arts and Sciences and to phase out the programs in Recreation, Sport and Fitness, Physical education, and School and Community Health Education. The Athletic Training program was merged into the Physical Therapy Department. Undergraduate program in Cardiovascular Health and Exercise from BCHDP merged with the Department of Cardiopulmonary Sciences.
1993 - President Bill Clinton delivered the keynote address at Northeastern's commencement exercises on June 19, 1993. Clinton referred to the graduates as a "symbol of the American Dream," because they had worked their way to a better life through a college education.
EdD degree designation for Counseling Psychology changed to PhD.
BS/PharmD entry-level tracking program was approved for pharmacy.
Sister School relationship established between BCPHS and Vardhogskolan i Goteborg (Gothenburg), Sweden.
Physician Assistant program began a formal affiliation with Tufts Medical School.
New faculty designation of Clinical Specialist was initiated.
NERCOA (National Education and Research Center for Outcome Assessment) was approved.
1995 - BS/MS degree approved in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. This program allows students to complete the BS degree in four years or to complete an accelerated MS program in five years.
Entry-level MS degree program approved in Physical Therapy.
1997 - First cohort of entry-level Master of Physical Therapy graduate
1998 - Nursing Hall of Fame initiated. Patrick F. Plunkett appointed Interim Dean of Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
1999 - Approval of MS in Physician Assistant Studies. College of Nursing merges with Bouvé College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences to become the Bouvé College of Health Sciences.
2000 - Stephen R. Zoloth appointed Dean of Bouvé College of Health Sciences.
2002 - Behrakis Health Sciences Building is opened
2003 - Entry level Doctor of Physical Therapy approved
2005 - Senate approves transitional Doctor of Physical Therapy Program
2006 - Senate approves new titles for Clinical Specialists - Assistant Clinical Professor, Associate Clinical Professr, Clinical Professor and Clinical Instructor
2007 - Senate approves Master of Public Health in Health Sciences Department
2009 - First entry level Doctor of Physical Therapy Students graduate
2011 - Terry Fulmer appointed Dean of Bouve College of Health Sciences
215 Behrakis Health Sciences Center