Applications to the Professional Master of Science in Biotechnology Program are to be filled out and submitted via online only. Applications are processed through the College of Science Graduate Admissions Office. All pieces of the application package, such as transcripts, must be submitted to that office.
College of Science Graduate Admissions Office
205 Mugar Building
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-5000
Applicants to the PSM in Biotechnology Program must have a baccalaureate (bachelor’s) degree in biology, chemistry, chemical or biochemical engineering, pharmaceutical science, or a related discipline from an accredited college or university; there is not a specific requirement as to the number of years it took to obtain the degree i.e. 12+3 is acceptable for applicants from Canada, Europe, and India. Applicants must have completed at least one course in biochemistry, molecular biology or genetics or physiology, organic chemistry, and college-level calculus.
- Application (online submission only), personal goal statement, resume, pre-requisite form
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.00 (B) or better
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate study (Northeastern transcripts must be requested by the applicant). Applicants who have been accepted and enrolled must submit official non-US institution transcripts to World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or Center for Educational Documentation for credentialing. Transcripts not in English must be credentialed at the time of application.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the last five years (send score reports to College of Science, code 3682); a minimum total score of 304 for the current version is required. A minimum total score of 1100 or minimum quantitative score of 650 for the former version is required; a GRE Subject Test is optional
- Three letters of recommendation
- For international applicants, TOEFL (send score reports to College of Science, code 3682) or IELTS test. International applicants must demonstrate proficiency in writing and speaking English with a minimal TOEFL score of 100 for the Internet-based test or minimum IELTS score of 7.0. International students residing in countries where English is not a first language are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS. International applicants residing in countries where English is a first language are required to take the TOEFL or IELTS if their native language is not English. The English language requirement is waived for international applicants who hold an undergraduate or graduate degree from a US institution.
Pace (full-time, part-time, special student)
- Students in the Biotechnology PSM Program can enroll either on a full-time or part-time basis. Full-time students will take a minimum of eight semester hours of courses per semester. Part-time students take one or two courses. Courses are taught in the late afternoon and evening to accommodate working students.
- International students must be enrolled on a full-time basis. If on an F1 (student) visa, attend full-time. Students on an H1 (work) visa must attend part-time. For more information, contact Northeastern’s International Student and Scholar Institute at http://www.northeastern.edu/issi/.
- Students taking courses on Special Student Status can apply up to 12 semester-hour credits towards the Biotechnology PSM Program. Once 12 credits have been earned, a student must apply to and be accepted into the program before any further courses will count towards the degree. For information on how to apply for special student status, contact the College of Science at 617-373-4275.
Admissions Deadlines for Boston On-ground Program
Applications to the full-time on-ground program are accepted for Fall semester only. The deadline for Fall 2014 for all applicants needing a visa (international) is May 1, 2014. The deadline for Fall 2014 for all other applicants is August 1, 2014.
Applications to the part-time on-ground program are accepted for both Spring and Fall semesters. The application deadline for Spring 2014 is December 8, 2013. All required material must be postmarked and the application package must be complete by the deadline. Complete applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Admissions Deadlines for Online/Hybrid Program at Seattle Campus
Admission to the online/hybrid program at Northeastern’s Seattle Graduate Campus is for part-time status only. The application deadline for Spring 2014 is December 8, 2013. The deadline for Fall 2014 is August 1, 2014. All required material must be postmarked and the application package must be complete by the deadline. Complete applications will be reviewed as they are received.
All applications to the Professional Master of Science (PSM) in Biotechnology Program are processed through the College of Science Graduate Admissions Office regardless of the concentration (track) the applicant wishes to pursue and all pieces of the application package must be submitted to that office.