Department of Biology
134 Mugar Life Sciences
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115 USA
- Ph.D., Genetics, University of Bonn Habilitation (Genetics)
- M.Sc., Biology, University of Bonn, Germany
- B.Sc., Biology, University of Bonn, Germany
- Prof. for Plant Molecular Genetics, Hannover University (1991-present)
- Dean of Studies, Biology Faculty, Hannover University (2002-2004)
- Assistant Prof (C2), University of Bonn (1986-1991)
- Inst. of Genetics, University of Bonn (1978-1979, 1981-1985)
- Postgraduate Research Biologist, Cena, Piracicaba, Brazil, 1980
- Research Assistant, University of Bonn (1975-1978)
Other Professional Activities
- Short-term professorships for teaching plant Biotech under a DAAD-fellowship in Vietnam (Agricultural University Hanoi, Nong Lam University, HCMC) or Cairo University, Egypt. (2007, 2008)
- Chairman Conference of German Biol. Faculties (KBF) (2004-2008)
- President, German Ass. of Biologists (vdbiol) (2000-2004)
- Vice President, German Ass. of Biologists (vdbiol) (1998-2000)
- Editorial Board: EUPHYTICA, GM-Crops
Reviewer : besides acting as associate editor the journal mentioned, I am acting as reviewer for various journals, including Plant Cell Reports, Journal of Biotechnology, Nature Protocols, Journal of Plant Physiology, Biologicals and various others.
Our lab focuses on the development of efficient and reliable transgene-based systems for (a) improving resistance of plants against biotic and abiotic stresses as well as using transgenic plants for the expression of recombinant proteins (antibodies, vaccines or anti-infective agents). As a long-term research interest we are working on unraveling the molecular mode of auxin action.
With accepting the professorship at the University of Hannover (now: Leibniz Universität Hannover, LUH) in 1991, I took over the responsibility for teaching general and molecular genetics to biology students as well as, in recent years, to students in biochemistry, life sciences and plant biotechnology (undergraduate and graduate). At the graduate level I am teaching courses in “Plant Biotechnology”, “Expression Systems” and “Functional Genomics”. Besides my teaching responsibilities at the LUH, I have teaching experience from the University of Bonn, North Eastern University (Boston), and, under short-term fellowships, at various international universities.