Please view the degree program web pages, links available on the left and above, for details about the admissions process that are specific to the individual program, such as application deadlines. Please note: the Biotechnology Program has different application details; visit the program website for more information. All Application materials should be uploaded electronically on the Apply Yourself website. Apply online today.
Please note that in addition to the submission of your on-line application, all required application materials must also be received by the deadline in order for your application to be considered. Gradute Special Student applicants only need to provide items 1 through 5 as listed below.
- Application fee – US $75.00
- Personal Statement
- Unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended should be uploaded to the Apply Yourself system as part of your application. International Applicants: Transcripts must be in English and, if applicable, also in the language of instruction. English translated transcripts must be officially certified by a translator or by an educational credential evaluation agency. If admitted, fully evaluated official transcripts will be required within 30 days of matriculation. Please click here for more details. (click here links to: http://www.northeastern.edu/cos/future-students/college-of-science-graduate-school/materials-required/)
- English Proficiency for all international applicants (from ONE of the following):
- Degree earned at U.S. institution, or
- Degree earned at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction, or
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT or IELTS exam
- Three Letters of Recommendation for all degree programs submitted on-line via ApplyYourself.
- GRE General Scores (Institution code is 3682)
- Faculty Interest Question – as noted on the Supplementary Section
GRE – The general Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) are required. The Institution Code for the college is 3682 and the Department Codes are: Biology – 0203; Bioinformatics – 0299. There is not a minimum required score for the GRE exam. The current average of applicant scores in the Verbal and Quantitative sections is approximately 625 and in the Annalytical Writing about 4.0. Visit the GRE website for more information about taking the exam. TOEFL or IELTS – International Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in writing and speaking English. If you you have not earned a degree at a U.S. institution or an institution where English is the only medium of instruction, we require the submission of an official TOEFL or IELTS score report. The minimum accepted TOEFL score is 250 for the Computer-based test, or 100 for the Internet-based test. The Institution Code for Northeastern is 3682 and the Department Codeand the Department Codes are: Biology – 35; Bioinformatics – 30. The minimum IELTS score is 6.5. Visit the TOEFL website for more information about taking the exam. Visit the IELTS website for more information about taking the exam.
Financial Aid and Costs
All full-time students enrolled in the Biology department’s doctoral or master’s degree programs are eligible to be considered for departmental financial aid. As noted in the general University policies, all students who hold assistantships are expected to devote full time to their studies and the duties of the award. Assistantships are in the form of either teaching assistantships, research assistantships. Students may also, on a voluntary basis, complete a summer internship with one of several local biotechnology companies. For more information about fees and financial aid options, visit the Student Financial Services web page.