Collaborative Research Agreements
CARA establishes Collaborative Research Agreements (CRA), which are intended to be multi-year and involve funding for dedicated equipment and staff. In return, the sponsor receives access to CARA resources and knowledge.
The intention of a CRA is to enter into a significant research/technology development effort to solve some of the major problems and challenges facing industrial and government partners (translational science). Thus, CRA’s are expected to be three years in duration, which often will involve proof-of-concept for the first year, and result in significant invention, training, exchange of personnel and in general generate results which have a significant positive impact on the drug development of the industrial partner and thus a significant return on investment. In many cases, the research, which is generally published, can also have a broad impact on biotechnology as a whole.
Examples of CRA type agreements have been in the areas of biopharmaceutical process optimization, validation of potency models using proteomics analysis of expression pathways and the determination of critical quality attributes and structure function relationships of complex glycoproteins.
Collaborative Service Agreements
CARA operates through Collaborative Service Agreements (CSA) for companies and government agencies, with single portal access to all of the expertise and instrumentation resources of the Barnett Institute. Well established services are referred to as “Service Packages” (see examples below).
CARA’s analytical services based on a large array of state-of-the-art instrumentation, and a technical staff comprised of world-class experts and thought leaders in their specialized fields. They bring a level and breath of expertise rarely found in the private sector.
CARA Collaborative Service Agreements
- Full services protein characterization organization with state of the art instrumentation (20 mass spectrometers, 3 NMRs), highly experienced and innovative staff
- Core competency in de novo structure elucidation, confirmation of structure and batch structural comparability of complex biologicals and glycoproteins
- Demo laboratory and training facility for partnered companies that will assure these companies always have access to state-of-the art equipment and methodologies
Examples of Service Packages
- Advance Protein Analysis – Comprehensive full sequence elucidation and confirmation of glycoprotein structure – Structure-Function Analysis using Hydrogen-Deuterium Exchange (HDX) analysis – Disulfide mapping of complex proteins using Electron Transfer Dissociation (ETD) MS technology – Comparability analysis for facility and process changes
- Advanced Bioprocessing Applications – Industrial proteomics for analysis of host cell contaminants and product related substances – Biomarker discovery for process consistency
- Process validation by process profiling
- Disposable extractables and process related impurities to support development of fully disposable alternatives for existing systems