Hiring Process Overview
Hiring a Northeastern University Co-op student is much like hiring another employee for your company - with value added!
You will work directly with me. I will guide you through the hiring process. In addition, I pre-screen the students who apply for your position.
Listing your position in the NU Co-op database
- To list your position on-line, please complete the NU Employer Job Request Form.
- Please keep in mind that, once listed, all NU co-op students will be able to see this listing (not just Cultural Anthropology, Human Services and Sociology majors).
- After receipt of your completed Job Request Form, I will contact you to establish a personal connection, to review your listing, to answer questions you have about the process, and to make an appointment to visit your company in the future.
- After approval, the job posting will be uploaded to an internal, secure NEU database that is password-protected.
Here is a chart to better describe our hiring cycles. I am happy to explain any of this in more depth.
|Co-op Term||Posting Date
(listed on our database for students to apply)
|Resumes to employer||Employment
|Early to mid-September||Mid-October||Beginning of January||End of June|
|Mid to late January||Early to mid-March||Beginning of July||End of December|
Reviewing Resumes/Interviewing Students
- You will receive resumes of students who have been pre-screened by your NU Co-op Faculty Coordinator. You and your staff will make decisions about which students you wish to interview and ultimately to hire. This part of the process is the same as it would be for any other position you may have. Typically, you would be responsible for contacting students and arranging for interviews and, although NEU pre-screens the applicants for your position, we do recommend that you check references.
- If you have multiple Co-op openings, your Co-op Faculty Coordinator may offer you the opportunity to come to campus to interview candidates.
Making An Offer
When you are ready to make an offer to hire a student, we ask that you allow the student three business days to make a decision, if possible. If you require a decision more quickly, please make sure the student knows your timeline.
- If you would like to speak to me before making a decision, please feel free to do so.
- If you need assistance in setting an hourly rate, please feel free to contact me.
- Please notify me when a student accepts an offer for your position.
- If possible, please let other students know that you have hired someone else.
- If you let me know (of the resumes you have received) who you are not interested in - I can field questions from the students, etc.
Thank you for your interest in the NU Co-op Program. I look forward to a rewarding relationship!
This document offers some information and suggestions for the hiring cycles. I hope it helps!