Master of Science in Project Management
In today’s fast-paced business environment, companies succeed or fail based on their ability to bring quality products and services to market on time, on budget, and within specifications. As a consequence, the need for knowledgeable project managers spans every industry—from banking, biotechnology, and construction management to non-profits, performing arts, and entertainment organizations. The resulting shortage of talent has created expansive career opportunities as well as rising salaries.
Northeastern University’s MS in Project Management ALIGN program provides you with the theoretical concepts and the practical skills you need to lead complex projects successfully—from initial planning, budgeting, and negotiations through project oversight and final evaluation.
Northeastern’s program is also accredited by the Project Management Institute, one of fewer than 50 master’s programs in the world with that credential. It certifies that our project management curriculum is built upon proven and established best practices.
As a student in this program, you have the opportunity to learn to:
- Effectively manage multiple, sometimes interrelated, complex projects
- Implement enterprise-level project portfolio management based upon an organization’s strategic business goals
- Avoid common project management pitfalls
- Develop metrics for determining and reporting project performance
What Courses Will I Take?
Featuring real-world case studies, the MS in Project Management ALIGN program presents techniques and tools for managing short- and long-term projects successfully and cost effectively, including project definition, cost and risk estimation, schedule planning and monitoring, budget management, negotiation and conflict resolution, and project presentation and evaluation. Six discrete curricular concentrations enable you to focus your knowledge within your field of interest.
ALIGN COURSES INCLUDE:
- Foundations of Project Management
- Intro to Organizational Communication
CORE COURSES INCLUDE:
- Project Management Practices
- Capstone Project
SAMPLE ELECTIVES INCLUDE:
- Risk Management
- Global Project Management
- Portfolio Management in the Enterprise Environment
- Project Scheduling and Cost Planning
- Negotiation, Mediation, and Facilitation
- The Ethical Leader
To view the program's website, click here.
How Will I Gain Work Experience?
Students in the MS in Project Management ALIGN program have the opportunity to participate in Northeastern University’s signature co-op program. This respected program enables you to gain invaluable work experience, to apply classroom concepts, and to earn credit toward your degree as you build the foundation of your resumé. Beyond graduation, project management students find employment opportunities in almost every field. If it’s a temporary endeavor that produces a unique product, service or result, then it is a project. Recent co-op partners include:
- Digital Facilities Corporation
- SPEC Engineering
- Cubist Pharmaceuticals
- Schweitzer Engineering
Who Are the Faculty Members?
- Are industry professionals, scholars, and mentors who hold the PMP® certification
- Are dedicated to sharing their wealth of experience, insight, and project-specific perspectives
- Provide you with the key knowledge as well as the communication skills and ethical foundations you need to excel in the industry
Am I Right for This Program?
Our Project Management ALIGN Program is designed for all students seeking to develop valuable project management skills and enter a wide variety of growing industries. Our custom curriculum prepares students to succeed in management and leadership positions in a wide range of industries including healthcare, biotechnology, construction, real estate, finance, information technology, and the arts.
This program is designed for students who have less than 2 years of professional experience.
Still not sure? Let us help. Click here.
What Are the Admissions Requirements?
- Completed application form and transcripts
- Undergraduate degree in any discipline
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Two letters of recommendation
How Much Will it Cost?
ALIGN is a customized degree program that includes bridge courses embedded into a full academic curriculum, as well as additional support and services related to your transition into Project Management.
Tuition and fees are set on an annual basis by Northeastern University’s Board of Trustees and will be updated in April 2015. Based on rates for the 2013-2014 academic year, the total estimated cost for the MS Project Management ALIGN program is $29,403.00.
To view current program location offerings and key application dates, click here.