Master of Science in Health Informatics
Professionals in the field of health informatics, the union of information science, computer science, and healthcare, are driving many of the current advancements that center on the integration of technology in patient care. Yet as a new and rapidly-evolving field—one in which job postings grew four times faster than healthcare positions in general between 2007 and 2011—there is an acute shortage of qualified talent to meet market needs.
The interdisciplinary MS in Health Informatics ALIGN Program helps you transition to this high-potential field and prepares you to take a leadership role in addressing the combined clinical, technical, and business needs of health-related organizations.
As a student in this program, you have the opportunity to:
- Understand how information technology, people, health, and the healthcare system interrelate
- Use information technology and information management concepts and methods to improve healthcare delivery and outcomes
- Communicate effectively among healthcare practitioners, administrators, and IT professionals, and understand each group’s needs and constraints
What Courses Will I Take? >>
Northeastern’s MS in Health Informatics ALIGN Program is a collaboration between the College of Computer and Information Science and the Bouvé College of Health Sciences. The curriculum spans vital topics ranging from healthcare systems, data management and design, and organizational change to clinical decision-making, business issues, emerging technologies, and myriad ever-changing factors that impact the field.
Core Courses Include:
Sample Electives Include:
How Will I Gain Work Experience? >>
Strong industry relationships with hospitals, health-care systems, health-related corporations, and government health agencies assure that the program remains at the leading edge of advances in the industry.
The program’s capstone project provides you with the opportunity to integrate the knowledge you gain in the classroom with real-world challenges, and the chance to make an active contribution to the field. You initiate and design your capstone project in consultation with working health informatics professionals. Faculty members provide guidance and mentoring throughout the project.
Who Are the Faculty Members? >>
Our Faculty Members:
- Are senior leaders in the field
- Have extensive experience in world-renowned hospitals and major health care organizations
- Work with an advisory board of industry professionals to provide expert guidance in the program’s development, keeping the curriculum current and relevant
Am I Right for This Program? >>
Our Health Informatics ALIGN Program is designed for all students who have an interest in the field. A previous background in computer science or healthcare is not required.
What Are the Admissions Requirements? >>
- Completed application form and transcripts
- Statement of purpose
- Undergraduate degree in any discipline
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Three letters of recommendation
How Much Will It Cost? >>
ALIGN is a customized degree program that includes bridge courses embedded into a full academic curriculum, as well as additional support and services related to your transition into Health Informatics.
Tuition and fees are set on an annual basis by Northeastern University’s Board of Trustees. Based on rates for the 2013-2014 academic year, the total estimated cost for the MS Health Informatics ALIGN program is $39,248.00.
Program Locations >>
Degree available in Boston and Charlotte only.