Master of Science in Bioinformatics*
Big Data is today’s buzzword. It is also the driving force behind the explosive demand for trained bioinformatics professionals. The life sciences are increasingly data-intensive, and the need for individuals with the broad, interdisciplinary knowledge and skills to plan, mine, analyze, and interpret large-scale data sets continues to expand.
The MS in Bioinformatics ALIGN Program is invaluable if your goal is to enter this exciting and growing field.
Combining challenging academics in biology, computer science, and information technology with practical, real-world experience, the MS in Bioinformatics ALIGN Program will help you integrate the knowledge, skills, experience, and confidence you need to play a pivotal role in an expanding range of life science fields.
As a student in this program, you have the opportunity to:
- Build a core of critical knowledge in bioinformatics computational methods, bioinformatics programming, statistics for bioinformatics, and ethics for biological research
- Integrate knowledge from biological, computational, and mathematical disciplines
- Prepare to assume leadership roles in a range of life sciences, biotechnology, and pharmaceutical industries, including genomics, personalized medicine, drug discovery, and cancer therapy
What Courses Will I Take? >>
The MS in Bioinformatics ALIGN Program combines core coursework in bioinformatics computational methods, programming, and statistics with graduate electives that offer you the flexibility to specialize and build a broader knowledgebase.
Core Courses Include:
Sample Electives Include:
How Will I Gain Work Experience? >>
A co-op, frequently completed with leading employers in academia and industry, assures graduates a competitive edge in the dynamic field of bioinformatics.
Recent co-op partners include:
- Broad Institute
- Harvard Medical School
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Seattle Children’s Research Institute
Who Are the Faculty Members? >>
Program Director: Steven Vollmer, Ph.D.
Our Faculty Members:
- Are dedicated academics and seasoned industry professionals
- Bring interdisciplinary perspective, experience, and collaboration to their classrooms and research
- Provide opportunities to participate in research, including next-generation genomics, drug discovery, personalized genomics, and network analyses
Am I Right for This Program? >>
Our Bioninformatics ALIGN Program is designed for all students who have an interest in the field. A previous background in computer science, biology, or biotech is not required.
What Are the Admissions Requirements? >>
- Completed application form and transcripts
- Undergraduate degree in any discipline
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Two letters of recommendation
How Much Will it Cost? >>
ALIGN is a customized degree program that includes bridge courses embedded into a full academic curriculum, as well as additional support and services related to your transition into Bioinformatics.
Tuition and fees are set on an annual basis by Northeastern University’s Board of Trustees. Based on rates for the 2013-2014 academic year, the total estimated cost for the MS Bioinformatics ALIGN program is $40,640.00.
Program Locations >>
Degree available in Boston and Seattle only.