Master of Science in Computer Science
In June 2013, Forbes ranked computer science as the fourth best master’s degree for immediate job potential, with a 21.3 percent increase in jobs. When you combine that with national data on current salaries, it’s clear why an advanced degree in computer science offers exceptional career potential.
The MS in Computer Science ALIGN Program is designed for students with strong quantitative and analytical backgrounds. While students typically come from fields such as mathematics and engineering, the program also supports students from a broad range of undergraduate majors, including history, economics, and physics. No matter what your background, you will acquire both the knowledge and practical skills you need to successfully transition into a new career.
As a student in this program, you have the opportunity to:
- Develop the ability to recognize and solve problems arising in the use of modern digital computers
- Assimilate ideas and concepts from theoretical studies and from in-depth, hands-on design and programming
- Acquire skills in software and application design, network infrastructure, and other essential computer science concentrations
- Prepare to innovate and thrive in the surging technology sector
What Courses Will I Take? >>
Northeastern’s MS in Computer Science ALIGN Program combines core coursework in program design, computer systems, and software development to build on your strong analytical skills. Elective courses in artificial intelligence, databases, networks and security, and software engineering allow you to tailor your degree to your unique interests.
Core Courses Include:
Sample Electives Include:
How Will I Gain Work Experience? >>
Full-time co-op positions allow students to gain industry experience at top companies in their field before they graduate. Over the past five years, more than 98 percent of our computer science students who have sought a co-op position have been successfully placed. While you are building experience and making connections, your earnings can help offset up to 75 percent of your tuition cost.
Recent co-op partners include:
- Nectar Games
- EMC Corporation
Who Are the Faculty Members? >>
Our Faculty Members:
- Are passionate and devoted academics
- Are active computer science professionals working for industry leaders
- Provide students with an understanding of industry practices and leading-edge research
Am I Right for This Program? >>
Our Computer Science ALIGN Program is designed for students with strong analytical and quantitative backgrounds. Students typically come from fields such as mathematics and engineering, but our custom curriculum supports students from a broad range of undergraduate majors, including the social and natural sciences.
What Are the Admissions Requirements? >>
- Completed application form and transcripts
- Personal statement
- Undergraduate degree in any discipline
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Three letters of recommendation
- Coursework or exposure to technical principles
How Much Will It Cost? >>
ALIGN is a customized degree program that includes bridge courses embedded into a full academic curriculum, as well as additional support and services related to your transition into Computer Science.
Tuition and fees are set on an annual basis by Northeastern University’s Board of Trustees. Based on rates for the 2013-2014 academic year, the total estimated cost for the MS Computer Science ALIGN program is $47,696.00.
Program Locations >>
Degree available in Seattle only.