Master of Science in Health Informatics
The American healthcare system is undergoing dramatic changes and improvements that center on the integration of technology in patient care. Professionals in the field of health informatics—the union of information science, computer science, and healthcare—are driving many of these advancements, including utilizing new data mining technologies and artificial intelligence to improve clinical healthcare decision-making. Yet as a new and rapidly evolving field—one in which job postings grew four times faster than healthcare positions in general between 2007 and 2011—there is an acute shortage of qualified talent to meet market needs.
The interdisciplinary MS in Health Informatics through the ALIGN program helps you transition to this high-potential field and prepares you to take a leadership role in addressing the combined clinical, technical, and business needs of health-related organizations. You will gain the knowledge and skills to successfully integrate systems, improve workflow, help people work together and make a real difference in the quality and effectiveness of healthcare delivery—today and in the future.
- Understand how information technology, people, health, and the healthcare system interrelate
- Use information technology and information management concepts and methods to improve healthcare delivery and outcomes
- Communicate effectively among healthcare practitioners, administrators, and IT professionals, and understand each group’s needs and constraints
Northeastern’s MS in Health Informatics through the ALIGN program is a collaboration between the College of Computer and Information Science and the Bouvé College of Health Sciences. The curriculum spans vital topics ranging from healthcare systems, data management and design, and organizational change to clinical decision-making, business issues, emerging technologies, and myriad ever-changing factors that impact the field. Strong industry relationships with hospitals, healthcare systems, health-related corporations, and government health agencies ensure that the program remains at the leading edge of advances in the industry.
ALIGN COURSES INCLUDE:
- Health and Medicine for Non-Clinicians
- Database Design, Access, Modeling, and Security
CORE COURSES INCLUDE:
- Introduction to Health Informatics Systems
- American Healthcare System
- Capstone Project
SAMPLE ELECTIVES INCLUDE:
- Business of Healthcare Informatics
- Key Standards in Health Informatics
- Organizational Behavior, Workflow Design, and Change Management
- Project Management
- Management Issues in Health Informatics
- Strategic Management and Leadership in Healthcare
Gaining Real-World Experience
Courses in the MS in Health Informatics are taught by industry leaders who bring real-world industry experience into the classroom and by research faculty whose research is actively contributing to healthcare. The program’s capstone project provides you with the opportunity to integrate the knowledge you gain in the classroom with real-world challenges. Capstone projects consist of practical work and research in a major area of health informatics with the goal of making an active contribution to the field. You initiate and design your capstone project in consultation with working health informatics professionals. Faculty members provide guidance and mentoring throughout the project. Students have worked with employers including:
- Partners HealthCare
- Verisk Analytics
- Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare
- Tufts Medical Center
- Steward Health Care System
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Is This Program Right For Me?
Our Health Informatics through the ALIGN program is designed for all students who have an interest in the field. A previous background in computer science or healthcare is not required.
Still not sure? Let us help. Click here.
Connect with your enrollment coach or contact us at email@example.com for additional details.
By submitting the form, you will receive information from Northeastern University with details about our degree programs and certificates by email or receive a phone call from one of our enrollment coaches. You can unsubscribe at any time.
What are the Admissions Requirements
- Completed application form and transcripts
- Undergraduate degree in any discipline
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Three letters of recommendation