Chief Operating Officer, Arietis Corporation
I am interested in understanding the mechanisms of antimicrobial drug tolerance and applying this knowledge to develop more effective therapeutics. My training and expertise are in the areas of molecular microbiology and biotechnology. I have led numerous research projects including those targeting gram negative and gram positive pathogens, and pathogenic fungi. I am well versed in high throughput screening, determining small molecule mechanism of action, performing target validations, and establishing models of safety, PK and efficacy. I regularly interact with members of the drug discovery and persister groups to help with individual projects and fulfill the overall goals of the Antimicrobial Discovery Center.
Peer-reviewed Publications/Inventions: (* denotes corresponding author)
- Conlon B., Nakayasu E., Fleck L., LaFleur M., Isabella V., Coleman K., Leonard S., Smith R., Adkins J., Lewis K. (2013) Killing persister cells and eradicating a biofilm infection by activating the ClpP protease. Nature. Nov; 503(7476):365-70. PMID24226776
- Michael LaFleur*, Sun L., Keating J., Lister, I., Nantel A., Long L., Ghannoum M., North J., Lee R., Coleman K., Dahl T., Lewis K. (2013) Potentiation of Azole Antifungals by 2-adamantanamine. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. Aug;57(8):3585-92. PMC3719723.
- Michael LaFleur*, Lucumi E., Napper AD., Diamond SL., Lewis K. (2011) Novel high-throughput screen against Candida albicans identifies antifungal potentiators and agents effective against biofilms. J Antimicrob Chemother 66: 820-826. PMC3058565.
- Michael LaFleur*. (2011) Candida albicans biofilms, heterogeneity and antifungal drug tolerance (invited review). The Open Mycology Journal 5: 21-28. Open Mycology Special Issue: Fungal biofilms and biofilm‐active antifungal compounds.
- Michael LaFleur, Qingguo Qi, and Lewis, K. (2010) Chronic Oral Candidiasis Selects for High-persister Mutants of C. albicans. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. Jan;54(1):39-44. PMC2798516.
- Sun J., Qi C., LaFleur M.D., and Qi Q.G. (2009) Fluconazole susceptibility and genotypic heterogeneity of oral Candida albicans colonies from the patients with cancer receiving chemotherapy in China. Int J Oral Sci. Sep;1(3):156-62. PMC3475586.
- Michael LaFleur, Kumamoto, C., and Lewis, K. (2006) Candida albicans biofilms produce persister cells tolerant to killing by antimicrobial agents. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 50(11):3839-46. PMC1635216.
- Methods of treating fungal infections. Michael LaFleur and Kim Lewis. 04/22/2009. PCT/US09/41403. Patent pending.