The Counseling component of the John D. O’Bryant African-American Institute provides a wide-range of services to students of African origin. The services are designed to enhance students’ academic, career, and personal development.
Our goal is to encourage students in a process which will enable them to express their feelings; to evaluate and resolve problems, to explore options; to formulate short-term and long-term goals; to make solid decisions and develop self-assessment, self-advocacy, assertiveness and leadership skills. We encourage students to strive for academic excellence and to participate in extra-curricular activities that will enrich their overall college experience.
- Course advising, career and personal counseling
- Information on scholarships, financial aid, co-op, fellowships, internships and employment
- Career development workshops with employers and college representatives
- Personal development workshops
- Résumé writing assistance
- Information on graduate schools and the application process
- Referral services to campus and community agencies
- Listing of Black colleges